Hot & Cold Bottle Conditioning: Skunking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made fruit beer late March, bottled mid April. I warm conditioned it for carbonation about a week. Then put in the fridge for another week.

I tasted it on May 5th. It was OK, however it needed to condition longer. It could also have had better carbonation.

Question: Since its now cold can I go back to warm conditioning w/o skunking the beer?

It should be fine, just make sure it's in a dark place. It's actually sunlight (or a certain spectrum of light) that reacts with the beer skunking it, so raising it up to room temp in a darkened area shouldn't cause a problem.

Let it warm up and finish carbonating. Ultraviolet light causes skunking and if you are using brown bottles, it isn't something to worry about.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that skunking mainly occurs in clear bottles. I think UV has does something to do with skunking. I read Heineken uses green bottles to encourage skunking. Ick!!! :eek: I think its a misconception about temperature hot/cold cycling while conditioning. (ruling out extreme cases) Applies mainly to fermenting.

I will pop them in the basement cupboard! My Oktoberfest Cream Ale could use the company:)

The only thing left in the fridge will be Fathers Day Ale.... unfortunately I only have 3 left!!!

Drinking one today won't be sacreligious on Mothers Day would it??

:confused:

Back