Oud Bruin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Anyone ever done one? I'm looking at NB's kit, like I have since last year, and am very interested in making this. I'm worried about wild bugs contaminating my basement, though. Thoughts/suggestions?

The Roselare blend will have brettanomyces yeast as well as lactobacillus and pediococcus bacteria. The long aging of an Oud Bruin should probably be done in a glass carboy to inhibit oxygen intrusion that can allow acetobacter contamination and vinegary flavors to dominate.

These wild bugs will likely not take over your basement, but most "wild" brewers dedicate equipment that has come in contact with them to sour beers. Wild yeast and bacteria are present virtually everywhere, and that is why sanitation is so important in achieveing beers that are not sour. But it will be difficult to kill these bugs in plastic equipment such as racking canes, tubing, stoppers, and auto-siphons.

By all means go for it! But be prepared to wait at least a year, and probably longer to have a good Oud Bruin.

thanks for the advice. i think i'm slowly going to start building up some extra equipment for doing sours.

Back