Temprature control in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
Is temperature control as critical to the taste of your beer once primary fermentation is complete and the beer has been racked to a secondary?

Some say no, as long as it is within reason (70's or so). I however cannot comment with authority, but having had 2 bad experiences with high ferm temps in primary I am not willing to chance it. Plus, a wet t-shirt is easy enough to throw on the carboy and keep the secondary ferm temp down that it is not worth the risk for me.

A beer doesn't need steady temperatures while clearing, but above 80F the flavor will degrade.

I leave mine in primary for about 14 days, then crash cool the primary to 35ish for a week, then keg. Then I keep the keg at 35 - 40 until its ready.... So I skip a dedicated secondary, using my keg as a "secondary".

The reason I did this was to keep the beer at a steady temp to age.

If you're in danger of the beer getting over the top edge of the recommended temp range for the yeast - control the temperature. It won't be fatal or anything (and because there are less yeast in the secondary the impact would be less than if the temp on your primary got out of whack), but the yeast will start to produce flavors that they're not intended to. Also - they'll stay in suspension longer. I default to keeping my ales in secondary (and I secondary everthing) at a maximum of 68.

You never want your beer to get over 75-80 degrees whether it is in primary, secondary, or bottle as this will cause your beer to skunk. Other than that, you don't need to worry about it as much as long as fermentation is complete.

What have any of you found to be the best way to control the temp to 68 or so? That would freeze my wife out of the house, and the fridge I have in the garage won't get that warm...

You never want your beer to get over 75-80 degrees whether it is in primary, secondary, or bottle as this will cause your beer to skunk. Other than that, you don't need to worry about it as much as long as fermentation is complete.

I would say that some Belgian's like a Saison or a Tripel do much better at a higher temperature and will not cause skunking. The yeast will put out phenols that you are looking for at 80+.

As for your question about holding steady at 68...rubbermaid tub filled with water and adding from jugs of water to keep it where you want it. I rotate a frozen pint or half gallon twice a day with the AC on. With AC off, your looking at Gallon jugs. Very simple and effective.

Back