Keeping beer in keg without carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
So here is what ive got going on, I have a sweet stout that I brewed a couple weeks ago and is done fermenting and still in primary. I have a corny keg ready to put the beer in but I dont have my kegerator setup finished yet so I have no way to keep the beer cold once in the keg. If I transfer the beer to the keg and put enough co2 on it to seal the keg can I take it off of the co2 and it stay sealed or will the co2 absorb into the beer and cause the seals not to stay tight? Anyone ever tried this or is there another option that might be better? Thanks in advance.

Usually you can hear the lid seal when you get the pressure high enough 20psi+ to 30psi. As mentioned above the keg lube helps create a better seal and if your plastic feet on the keg lid are worn down a bit you can put some spacer between the feet and the top of the keg to help keep the lid tight. Carbing is not needed for storage purposes although I like to do it ASAP so that when I want to use the keg it is ready after a day of chilling.

Go ahead and put 40psi on it and tuck it away. It will absorb a little but should keep enough pressure to keep it sealed, especially if you use lube on the lid oring. If your kegerator isn't finished, why can't you just leave the gas on? If you do that, I'd use a constant 20psi.

I prime my kegs with 3oz dextrose hit it with 30lbs to seal initially and let it ride in the basement til I need it. For me co2 is expensive and out of the way to get refilled. Sugar and time are easy to come by.

I think im going to go ahead and do the priming option this time around. So sounds like I'll add the corn sugar and then put enough co2 to on it to seal the keg, then let it set at room temp for a few weeks. Once my kegerator is done I should be able to hook the keg up to the gas and just use enough to push the beer through. Does that seem like it will work?

I prime my kegs with 3oz dextrose hit it with 30lbs to seal initially and let it ride in the basement til I need it. For me co2 is expensive and out of the way to get refilled. Sugar and time are easy to come by.

I hear ya. Co2 is a pita to obtain when you work m-f

Thanks for all the help everybody. I guess I had totally forgotten that priming in a keg was an option. Depending on how it turns out maybe I will prime all my batches. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Back