Connecting CO2 to Kegs question. What am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bigins

Reaction score
This is the first time ever working with a 5lb CO2 canister and regulators. I have this CO2 regulators.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4884

When I connect this to the CO2 canister I'm unable to get the CO2 to open up. Looking at it closer, do I need to do something with the screws that are petruding outward and the bolts that are on the screws?

Also, is it necceasary to use the plastic washer between the attachment of the regulators and the CO2 canister.

Again, I've never used either of these, so laimens terms please.

Those screws you are talking about adjust the amount of pressure going into your beer. Lefty lucy, righty tighty (I think). These screws allow you to adjust the "local" PSI in each of your kegs.

so basically you turn the gas on, and then adjust the screws on each regulator to get the desired pressure.

Polly more of a lame explination then laymans explination! :p

glibbidy said:
Those screws you are talking about adjust the amount of pressure going into your beer. Left lucy, right tighty ( I think). This will adjust the "local" PSI in your kegs.

Yep. Turn those center screws clockwise to get more PSI into the tank. You'll hear it begin to hiss when you get close. Watch the dial on the regulator to let you know what PSI you've got.

And you have to use the washer, unless the regulator has a black gasket inside. Hand tighten the nut at the tank and turn about 1/4 turn more with a wrench. Open the tank valve all the way.

Make sure the valve on the tank is closed by turning it fully clockwise. Remove the regulator and look at the end of the stem. If there is an o-ring of some kind then you don't need the plastic washer. If there is no o-ring then you need to install the plastic washer. Reinstall the regulator to the tank. Make sure that the adjustment screw in the center of the regulator is turned to its minimum setting by turning it counter clockwise. Open the valve on the tank fully counter clockwise. To increase the output pressure from the regulator, turn the big screw clockwise and you will start to see the pressure increase. The nut on the adjustment screw is used to lock a setting in. If you need to turn the screw in further to get the pressure to increase, but it won't go any further because of the lock nut, just turn the nut to allow you to be able to turn the adjustment screw in further.

Just to clarify, the adjustment screws used to change the output pressure that I'm talking about are the ones that are in the very center of the black parts, called the bonnets.

John

4884.jpg

4884.jpg

Great, thanks guys. 1 more thing, the 2 levors below the regulators, in the picture you see one verical(straight up and down) and 1 tilted slightly. Where do I want to position those levors?

Edit: And to condition I want the PSi to be 25 right? Then when I'm ready to pour bring it down to around 8, or what?

Mr Bigins said:
4884.jpg

Great, thanks guys. 1 more thing, the 2 levors below the regulators, in the picture you see one verical(straight up and down) and 1 tilted slightly. Where do I want to position those levors?

Edit: And to condition I want the PSi to be 25 right? Then when I'm ready to pour bring it down to around 8, or what?

Down is open - open them all the way. Unless, of course, you want to restrict flow to that line, then you close it.

You can set the regulator at your serving pressure and leave it. It will take 3-5 days to carb that way. No reason to hit it with high pressure unless you're in a hurry

12 PSI for most dark beers, 30 PSI for yellow fizzy stuff and soda water. That assumes 40F, because fizz depends on pressure and beer temperature

It's a good idea to start low - and increase to your liking.

I keep everything I have around 10-12. I keep it a little colder than most - about 35-37. When I get a secondary regulator, I'll probably play around a little more

Thanks for the help everyone, I can't believe I made it out to be difficult when it was so easy. I'm not new to brewing, I'm new to kegging. And man, the beer is just awsome. I love how it flows out alot like Guinus from the tap where it starts out foamy and then the beer races up the inside of the glass leaving a perfect head.

! have both of them set at just under 11 PSi.

Thanks again!

:mug:

Back