Jeez, is this lacto? Also, how long to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahahb

Reaction score
Brewed this saison memorial day weekend and it is still bubbling. Best I can tell, gravity is 1.006-1.007. I've had this is several of my beers and they turned out fine. However, I don't recall seeing any bubble this long, but I've never used this yeast before(white labs saison 2). A couple of days after I pitched yeast I let the temp run and it got into the upper 70s. For the past 3 weeks, I've had it in a room that is in the mid 80s.

Beer smells and tastes fine.

I assume it is lacto but I can't say for sure. I also brew kombucha so I imagine there might be a higher level of lacto in my air than brewers who do not make kombucha. As long as I don't get bad beer from it, I'm not terribly worried. However, it screws the appearance of the beer up because a little bit of this scum forms in the bottles too and breaks apart into flakes which you can see.

ForumRunner_20120626_235544.jpg

Yeah, that looks a lot like lacto. Bummer too, since wlp566 is such a great yeast. Probably wouldn't hurt a saison too bad, but lacto is not something you'd want to tolerate in many other styles.

Just let it get funky! I personally LOVE a nice funked up Saison. If you hate it, ship it on out to me!

Is the yeast I pitched causing the bubbles? Or are they a result of the lacto?

Sort of off topic question: When people bottle sours, does the beer form a layer in the bottles too?

Could be anything. It's pretty hard to just look at a pellicle and decide what it is. It's definitely an infection. If it tastes fine you probably want to bottle and consume quickly. As much as I enjoy wild and sour beers, I have exactly two infected beers that turned out better after the infection than before. Those are true rarities.

Lucky man that this was a Saison. I'd say just keep drinking it, but you can also leave it a while to get really funky, which I think it awesome in Saisons.

Have you tasted it? I've had some pretty weird looking fermentations that turned out just fine (never had one that looked like that, though).

The couple of drops I got from the hydrometer tasted ok. I don't have a thief. I've had this same stuff in other brews and they turned out fine. I definitely want to find the source though.

And ReverseApacheMaster, I do want to bottle it but there is still activity. I don't know how much drier it is going to go but I wish it would finish already. Never had a beer still working a month after pitching.

Back