Peltier carboy cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience, but it's been tried (and discussed elsewhere), and found to be far less efficient than any "freon" chiller (ie: fridge)...

Cheers!

I looked into it and would only consider if I had a severe shortage of space and/or a couple of large, free peltier units.

One design consisted of a peltier cooling a SS coil immersed into a bucket or carboy on a recirculation loop. A small pump circulates the cooling water, and turns on the peltier unit whenever the temp gets too warm.

The problem is that a cheap CL fridge/freezer would probably cost close to the same amount as that peltier and MUCH less hassle to build. You'll need a temp controller of some kind anyway, so the fridge/freezer is a whole lot easier.

If you had a lack of space, say in an apartment, then a single fermenter bucket with a peltier might make perfect sense. The building of the SS coil and cold plate to attach to the peltier is just another project I don't really need to add to my list right now.

Latest posts

Back