Weird bottling experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
OK, so I have always bottled my brews, and never have I ever had this happen. I came back to eat lunch at home today, and I got to pop open one of my American wheats, and I hear this cracking noise as I pry off the cap. I look to see that the whole lip and about a half inch down had broken off with the cap, and the cap was still attached to the now broken top of the bottle. So the bottle is obviously trash now, but did I do something wrong to do this? The carbonation on all the wheats are perfect, but this sucker wasnt carbonated at all. Bad bottle?

Most likely it was just a bogus bottle. Just keep an eye on the rest of the batch, it'll probably be all right.

On the other hand, maybe you should just (for safety's sake) put them all in a big box and ship them to me for supervision.:p

Yep, sounds like a bad bottle. Had a crack in it you didn't notice and it was able to leak CO2. That was probably fortunate, since if it was cracked but was able to build pressure it might have blown.

Phew look like I avoided a bottle bomb then
I'll drink to that :mug:

Bad bottle... I found one once when I was capping. Entire neck broken into shards of glass. Since then I only re-use bottles that I know have been handled gently. I've heard of homebrewers collecting bottles out of people's recycling, but I would think twice about doing it now.

I've had a couple bottles that did this -- both were from my earlier batches capped by my wife back when she used to help. I sometimes thought maybe she pushed down too much on the capper and that may have contributed to this.. Hard to tell though.

Back