post 1st batch questions - temps etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
Finally made my 1st attempt at brewing last night, American pale ale extract.

Everything went pretty smooth but I have a few questions that werent covered in the instructions.

I steeped the grains at 158deg in 3qts of filtered water.

I added the extract to the main boiling pot at 170deg off heat. The directions did not indicate a temp at which to add the extract but said to do it off heat to avoid burning. our stove top is fairly weak and it took 35min to get the wort up to a rolling boil after adding the extract, stirring and then adding strained steeping h2o. I would like to add the extract when the water is hotter but wasn't sure if it would be a problem as long as it was off heat; does it matter what temp I add the LME at?

Rest off boil/hops Additions went fine.

When it came time to cool the wort I may have been overzealous with the ice bath, I cooled it to 94deg before adding it to the fermenter and then added ice water to bring to 5gallons. After I mixed the wort and water the temp was 68deg at which point I poured the yeast (Safale us-05) on top of the wort to let it hydrate for 20min before stirring into the wort. The suggested temp on the yeast packet is 65-75deg.

I was thinking it would be best to pitch at the upper temp limit to help get the yeast started and was a little concerned that it may be too cold. I placed the fermenter next to the floor heater for 20min or so to help warm it up before putting it away in the room to sit.

current temp in The room is 61.4deg, slightly colder than id like but our heater is acting up at times.

will my temps be ok or should I try to raise them in the room?

Also had a help of a time getting the lid on the bucket, almost seems too small, is this normal?

Thanks for reading my novel :)

is there any way to tell if the wort is fermenting in a opaque bucket and lid? i'm not going to take off the lid and don't want to mess with it at all for at least a week.

i have it set up with a blow off tube because we are leaving for the night and I don't want to come home to any mess. i plan on replacing the blow off tube with the rest of the airlock when i get back tomorrow.

is there any way to tell if the wort is fermenting in a opaque bucket and lid? i'm not going to take off the lid and don't want to mess with it at all for at least a week.

i have it set up with a blow off tube because we are leaving for the night and I don't want to come home to any mess. i plan on replacing the blow off tube with the rest of the airlock when i get back tomorrow.

How long has it been in the primary? Did you take an OG reading before pitching?

Your only sure-fire way to make sure fermentation is occurring is to take a gravity sample, but if it hasn't been at least a couple of days, relax and wait. Of course you would have to open it again for this.

If you see beautiful foam blowing out, or come home to a brown-tinted blowoff bucket then you know something happened!

Just relax and see what it does.

im not stressed about it yet, just did everything last night so it's still too early to tell anyways, more of a curiosity question. i definitely have no intentions of disturbing it any time soon

OG reading was 1.046 - OG on the recipe was 1.045 so I'm feeling pretty confident that everything went well

Back