Newbie Equipment Checklist/Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 67973

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

I am pretty stinking new to this trade. I am working on my third batch of brew now (blonde ale). I have already done one very similar and a nut brown ale. I am of course still learning the beer math and have told myself I will brew a minimum of 10 LME brews until I graduate into something more complicated. Right now I just want to get the process down and make sure I don't screw up to badly. Anyway, as for the equipment...I have acquired the following items.

Bottle Capper and extra caps
4 lbs of PBW
StarSan
Hydrometer
Extra Tubing
Bottle Brush
Carboy Brush
Bucket Brush
Bottling Bucket
6 Gal Bucket
5 Gal Better Bottle Carboy
Thief
Floating Therm
Wort Chiller
(2) Bottle Trees
Airlock
Funnel
Autosiphon
Bottle Filler
40 L Brew Pot
Lots-o-brown bottles

Is there any other piece of equipment out there I might need or should get? I am looking at getting a bottle rinser to go on top of one of my bottle trees, and before I place the order I figured I might want to check with some other people who know a lot more about this than I do.

Does anyone use the Iphone applications to track their brews? I have 'BrewPal' and 'My Brew' and so far I think 'My Brew' is better for my skill level...thoughts?

Finally, I'd like to say 'thank you' to the wise advice I have read others of you give in this forum. I would have to say, patience, by far is the key to this brewing gig...

Cheers!

Sleepyhound Brewery

Nice to see you're starting out with pretty good equipment. The full boils and wort chiller go a long way towards making better beer.

I would ignore the bottle rinser. A good soak in hot water after emptying a fresh bottle will get everything out that you need. I just rinse them after use and then run them through an extremely hot cycle on my dishwasher. Does the trick perfectly.

If I had to suggest something, I'd be fermentation control. If you have a spare fridge or freezer laying around (or go to craiglist and pick one up for really cheap), you can hook up a temp controller to it. This will really help you to make great beer.

A turkey fryer might help cut down on boil time too.

@Suthrncomfrt1884 - Bottle Rinser thoughts are noted and I like the idea about the cheap fridge. As soon as I get a chance I will look into that. I actually have a turkey fryer...I will try a few batches using that.

@buffalobrewer - I do have a mac...checking out beeralchemy now.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back