saison input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyebrewing

Reaction score
Brewed a simple saison and since i can never be satisfied with easy, i want to complicate things. The recipe was 6# pilsner lme, 1# pilsner dme, 1# sugar and 1oz saaz at 60, 10 and 5 min.
Sg is 1.062 and 35 ibu's and using wyeast 3711 french saison yeast.
Anyone try, or wanted to try doing some secondary additions to a recipe like this? Curious to hear some of these ideas..

Good luck with that yeast. You will certainly have a lot of time to add things if you decide to do it. It works REALLY slow and is very sensitive to temperature.

We'll see. People seem to love it or hate it. I started up in less than 10 hours and has been going strong since. Ill just have to see how it plays out.

Starting is not the problem...

I got it going at 75º and had it at one point at 88º. I employ a temperature controller running an aquarium heater, so the temps were stable. Make sure you keep it up a bit or it will seriously slow down.

Best of luck!

Consider candied ginger. My friend makes a mean saison, which USED to use this yeast, were he adds candied ginger to the boil. In the candied form, you should still have good results when added after fermentation has started.

Good to know. Ill keep on it and roust a lot. Ginger sounds pretty tasty and even the wife agrees (gasp!)

3711 is a very easy yeast to use, I think the above poster is getting confused with the dupont strain. Keep it mid 70's and it will be fine. The one thing about 3711 is it is an animal at attenuation, it typically finishes under 1.005, so make sure it is indeed finish (although shouldn't take that long), before you bottle.

Unlike the dupont strain it isn't very temperature sensitive or prone to stuck ferments.

3711 is a very easy yeast to use, I think the above poster is getting confused with the dupont strain. Keep it mid 70's and it will be fine. The one thing about 3711 is it is an animal at attenuation, it typically finishes under 1.005, so make sure it is indeed finish (although shouldn't take that long), before you bottle.

Unlike the dupont strain it isn't very temperature sensitive or prone to stuck ferments.

Correct. 3711 is very a different fermenter than the Dupont strain. It is really easy to use. If you are up for more of a challenge, try adding some brett to your saison. I've had a few wonderful brett saisons.

Good to know. Holding good at 72. I knew it went low, but wasn't going to ask how low since i figured i would just get the obligitory 3 days in a row answer.. brett sounds interesting, but have no idea how to work with it. Research time.

3711 is a very easy yeast to use, I think the above poster is getting confused with the dupont strain.

I checked my BeerAlchemy... :eek:

You are correct! :mug:

I used 3724, which is the MF'er yeast. I got the numbers mixed up because I changed my recipe to 3711 for next time around.

Everything I said about 3724 is correct though! :D I swear!

Back