Grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labeeratory

Reaction score
So I am building my own eHERMS system and have been looking into keeping bulk grain on hand. For my base malts I plan on using either metal trash cans or vittle vaults but for my specialty grains I had the idea of using ammo cans. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJ3JTCU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They come with a rubber gasket and are water proof. I already have a couple and there is usually some pretty cheap on ebay. I figured I only need 6-8 different specially grains. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the plastic bags too. no loss of efficiency and no problems to the grains up to one year

Good point. Didn't think about the odor. But if I left it in bags I think it would be fine. Yes, no?

Zip lock bags + sharpie+ $4 Homer bucket + $8 Gamma lid + shipping tag (for inventory) = practical, economical solution. Btw one 5gal pail holds about 25lbs of base malt. You can get at least 2 of those for the price of a vitttle vault. They stack also.

zip lock bags + sharpie+ $4 homer bucket + $8 gamma lid + shipping tag (for inventory) = practical, economical solution. Btw one 5gal pail holds about 25lbs of base malt. You can get at least 2 of those for the price of a vitttle vault. They stack also.

+1000

I get this isn't the most economically method, but I just figured I had a few cans and thought, why not?

I get this isn't the most economically method, but I just figured I had a few cans and thought, why not?

Yeah, I have a few also but due to the smell of them I just think it would leach into your grain. I have a few that are pretty old and at least one of them I left open for a very long time, the smell never went away.

Heck, maybe put a slice of bread inside a freezer zip lock (the heavier ones) and stick it in for a few days (longer the better I suppose), take it out and away from the ammo can, smell and/or taste it.

You never know, it might work out for you.

Let us know.

5 gallon buckets and Gamma Lids for bulk grains. Lock and Lock storage boxes in several sizes for specialty grains.

20150811_161218_zpsw2pd1n8u.jpg

20150811_161232_zpskrwdb1jz.jpg

His pics above are similar to my LHBS... its a smaller shop and a lot of his specialty grains are stored like that

Base grains are in large food safe bins

To the OP: Something that will seal pretty tightly. Moisture (humidity) is your enemy. Relatively cool and DRY. Metal trash cans usually do not seal....

I recently picked up a blue plastic 55 gallon drum with a removable lid. It contained car wax, but cleaned up really easily with no smell. Totally air tight. I can fit 200 pounds of grain in their sacks in one of these.

Only paid $20 on craigslist for it, so not much more than one gamma lid :mug:

Chris

Back