Clearing up a fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyTaco

Reaction score
Im about to start my fruit beer tonight. Im hoping to have this and a nut brown done for the 4th. I was wondering what you guys have done to successfully clear up a wheat beer with real fruit in it. I plan to add sanitized real fruit to my seconday then rack to a tirtiry for a week to get the gunk to settle out. This will be my first fruit, so if anyone has some advice from experience id love to hear it!

The recipie cirtousy of beerrecipies.org

5-1/2 lbs light dried wheat malt extract
24 to 36 oz frozen raspberries
16 oz frozen blackberries

Hops:

1-1/2 oz Hallertauer or Northern Brewer (boiling), 7 HBU
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (finishing), 2-3 HBU
Other

1 tsp vanilla extract
Yeast Belgian ale yeast (Wyeast 1214)

Well...I haven't made fruit wheat - all of mine have been barley based (with a little rice solids) and as light as I can make them, to let the fruit taste and color show through.

Wheat are usually a little cloudy anyway, so this might be a tough row to hoe. However, what I have learned is that a sharp cold break really seems to help. Hot break is easy but to get a good cold break, I filled my kitchen sink with ice water and put my boil pot right in once the boil was done. It is heavy stainless so it can take the temperature change.

Other than that, I used Irish Moss and gave it lots of time to settle out in secondary and tertiary, as you describe. Two weeks in the tertiary won't hurt the process.

Latest posts

Back