Using a Chest freezer for fermenting in the Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
How do folks who use a chest freezer in the garage to ferment beer keep the the temp up on cold nights?

Here's what I have done (although not in the garage):
-Set the temp controller to the desired temp and attach it to the freezer as usual
-Put a desk lamp in the freezer with a bit of foil over the part that lets the light out.
-Leave the lamp on and let the freezer come on to cool it down

I have not tested the temperature limits under which this will work, but it is worked for me. I would not recommend doing this with a lamp that has any plastic on it as the lamp tends to get very hot.

I use a 25w incandescent bulb (not a compact fluorescent). It works reasonably well.

I'm going to upgrade to one of these next winter.

Beerthoven said:
I use a 25w incandescent bulb (not a compact fluorescent). It works reasonably well.

I'm going to upgrade to one of these next winter.

I'm going to give the 25 watt bulb a try. I would like to use the heating mat, but I will need to upgrade to a two stage ranco controller then.

I leave the primaries next to my deck sliding glass door. Right next to the door is 64° and you just pull it back a few inches if you want to raise the temps. I've got double curtains for my projector, so there's no problems with light.

I'm in the same boat...I brewed a texas brown yesterday and put it in my fermentation fridge set at 70* which is in the garage. Now it's about 50* out and I doubt my fridge is holding the heat. I think I'll just bring it inside and keep the house at 70*

Good suggestion on the lamp covered in foil though, I'll give that a try some time.

Good luck! :mug:

I rigged up a heater using a light bulb and a cheap furnace thermostat - total cost was about $25. A 40 watt bulb will easily keep the temp in the 60s (maybe higher, but I've never tried) even when the outside temp is below zero, and I know the temp will never get that cold in Edwort's neck of the woods.

I plug an old external disk drive box into my Ranco. It produces about 20 watts of heat and has its own fan.

I spent 5 bucks on an extension cord, 25 watt light bulb, and a socket that plugs into an outlet. So far, I'm up to 50 degrees after 20 minutes. So far so good.

edit: It works great!

FermenterHeater.jpg

I just taped the cord to the lid. Now I can see even in the dark. :cross:

We had another cold night. I checked it at 5:45 this morning. Inside the garage it was 41 degrees. My fermenter was at 60 which is right where I set the temp on my Love Digital controller.

Sweet! This Rasty Old Tom American Imperial Stout needs to stay at 60 degrees for 14 days.

Beerthoven said:

:drunk: I about choked on my breakfast I laughed so hard.
I can just see it... guy puts in the CF bulb, comes back the next day,
beer is half frozen... "stupid idiots on that forum don't know what they are talking about" :D

Here's what I have ,got home yesterday and the outside temp never got over 30 and it's in my uninsulated shed, it keeps it nice and toasty at 65:
1332-40minsandfermentation.jpg

Brewiz said:
Here's what I have ,got home yesterday and the outside temp never got over 30 and it's in my uninsulated shed, it keeps it nice and toasty at 65:

Nice. Do you use the two stage Ranco Controller?

rabidgerbil said:
:drunk: I about choked on my breakfast I laughed so hard.
I can just see it... guy puts in the CF bulb, comes back the next day,
beer is half frozen... "stupid idiots on that forum don't know what they are talking about" :D

Yeah, then they guy breaks the CF bulb in his freezer, contaminating everything with mercury to boot!

Get me started on those curly bulbs this morning. The incandescent was banned by our enlightened congress last year. We have only two years to stock up.

EdWort said:
The incandescent was banned by our enlightened congress last year. We have only two years to stock up.

Another reason to go with the William's heating mat a la Brewiz.

I'm thinking about mounting one to a piece of plywood (rather than the side of the freezer) and running it full time like I do with the lightbulb now. Its only 25 watts, after all. Then when spring comes just take it out and put it away until next winter.

The lightbulb sure works well though. It was 17 degrees last night and this morning my IPA is still chugging along at 66º.

EdWort said:
I'm going to give the 25 watt bulb a try. I would like to use the heating mat, but I will need to upgrade to a two stage ranco controller then.

I don't think you'd have to upgrade your temp. controller - the freezer would keep the temp. down, and the heating pad would try to raise it. It's just like fermenting in summer, except the heat source is inside the chest, instead of ambient heat bleeding through the insulation. In effect, it would be exactly the same as the lightbulb solution, without the visible radiant energy.

EdWort said:
Nice. Do you use the two stage Ranco Controller?
I have a one similar to a ranco that I switch over for heat in the winter and cool in the summer. I want to get a 2 stage....

Stupid question, but for you guys that use the light bulbs, do you leave the freezer plugged in or not?

bluelou6 said:
Stupid question, but for you guys that use the light bulbs, do you leave the freezer plugged in or not?

Yes, the freezer stays plugged in (connected to the controller).

You can use any heatsource really.

Heat rock for reptiles.
Fishtank heater in tub of water.
Hairdryer (not in water hehe).
lightbulb shielded from clear fermenters.
brewbelt
heating pad
electric blanket

The subject of whether or not you need a two stage controller (both heating and cooling without manual intervention) hinges on whether or not you think the ambient temp will swing to both sides of the setpoint for the duration of the ferment. If ambient is always below your setpoint, you just need to heat. If it's always above, just chill.

If it's really close...that's tricky. Let's say your ambient (say 69F) is mostly above setpoint (say 67F) but you know it might dip lower by a few degrees overnight. You could decide to leave a very low wattage bulb on all the time and just let the freezer knock it down on cooling cycle when necessary. It's a little wasteful but it works in a pinch if you have a single stage.

bluelou6 said:
So the light bulb stays on full time?

Yes. The bulb is on all the time and when it gets warm enough the controller turns the freezer on, which cools down to its set point, and the process begins all over again.

I tape the controller's temperature probe to the side of the carboy which helps keep things pretty stable, actually.

Damn I am late finding this one. Instead of a lightbulb, use an aquarium heater in a bucket of water...No light to worry about and it is a really controllable and effective way of doing it.

Bobby_M said:
You can use any heatsource really.

Heat rock for reptiles.
Fishtank heater in tub of water.
Hairdryer (not in water hehe).
lightbulb shielded from clear fermenters.
brewbelt
heating pad
electric blanket

The subject of whether or not you need a two stage controller (both heating and cooling without manual intervention) hinges on whether or not you think the ambient temp will swing to both sides of the setpoint for the duration of the ferment. If ambient is always below your setpoint, you just need to heat. If it's always above, just chill.

If it's really close...that's tricky. Let's say your ambient (say 69F) is mostly above setpoint (say 67F) but you know it might dip lower by a few degrees overnight. You could decide to leave a very low wattage bulb on all the time and just let the freezer knock it down on cooling cycle when necessary. It's a little wasteful but it works in a pinch if you have a single stage.

Excellent point.

The temperature in NC in the winter is erratic. Today its 34 degrees but by this weekend it'll be 70. So I do what you say in the second paragraph and use a light bulb to heat all the time and let the freezer knock it down when necessary.

Latest posts

Back