Single Infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeBrew

Reaction score
It has been over a year since my last brew, and I am trying to get all of my knowledge about brewing to come back to me. I do however have a few questions here and there, because again I have almost forgotten everything.

My question is, between a buddy of mine and I, we both mash differently. The only thing I noticed different between each other is the time it takes to sparge as well as the mash texture. I do a single infusion mash, and he does a step mash. Now I did notice while my friend was step mashing, that his temperature tended to fluctuate, sometimes the temperature gauge would say 200 F degrees. I know that at a certain temperature the grains begin the break down, and you start to break down more than the sugars. Would that make it hard for you to sparge if the grains begin to break down? Also when would you step mash is also something I wanted to know.

Well, temps of 200f (actually above 170f) will extract tanins, which won't do anything for your beer. Step mashing should be used if you are mashing something that isn't well modified (not usually a problem with most base malts these days...) You may also do a step mash if you are trying to mash some other non-barley cereal grain. In this case the grain (grits, oats etc...) has to be cooked and then mashed. I am sure someone else can give some more specific information.

I'd like to hear any theories on why step mashing is even talked about anymore. Go to any issue of BYO, and you'll find a recipe that calls for 2-step, 3-step mashing. Yet, turn the page, and you'll find an article saying how the process is basically obsolete thanks to highly-modifed malts which lines the shelves @ every LHBS in the country.

I've gotten past it, but as a once-newbie this contradiction of sorts drove me nuts. They tell you to fiddle with mash temps, which is far from the easiest thing to do in homebrewing, and then they tell you you don' need to do it. And THEN they tell you to relax and don't worry. :drunk:

People still do step mashes with wheats and pilsners, to name a few styles. Some people use less modified malts and step mashes to control the profiles. Decoction mashing produces results that are very difficult to replicate otherwise.

OP - Conversion of starches, extract of sugars and tannins all take time. As does the denaturing of the enzymes. So, brief temperature extremes won't ruin a batch.

I'd like to hear any theories on why step mashing is even talked about anymore. Go to any issue of BYO, and you'll find a recipe that calls for 2-step, 3-step mashing. Yet, turn the page, and you'll find an article saying how the process is basically obsolete thanks to highly-modifed malts which lines the shelves @ LHBS in the country.

I've gotten past it, but as a once-newbie this contradiction of sorts drove me nuts. They tell you to fiddle with mash temps, which is far from the easiest thing to do in homebrewing, and then they tell you you don' need to do it. And THEN they tell you to relax and don't worry. :drunk:

I recently did a step mash on a Kolsch and it turned out fantastic. I followed some advice from a book on Kolsch because I really wanted to make the beer to style, which is highly attenuated, dry, clear and simple. Also, I have never done a step mash before, so I kind of wanted to test this way out (I usually do Single Infusion).

I did a rest for 45 minutes at 141 degrees to maximize the Betas, then, raised the mash to 157 for a 30 minute Sach rest. I ended up with 1.7 qts/pound at the end of the Sach rest.

OG was 1.053, TG was 1.007

I just tapped my keg this weekend after 2 weeks of primary, 3 weeks of secondary and 3 weeks of gas. Turned out phenomenol and better than previous Kolsch batches. I am not sure how much the step infusion mattered, but, it sure came out like I wanted.

People still do step mashes with wheats and pilsners, to name a few styles. Some people use less modified malts and step mashes to control the profiles.
I guess my confusion comes with the fact that I've never seen any grains specifically labeled "undermodified" at any of the HBSs I've been to. I've been under the impression that undermodified malts were all but non-existent to the homebrewer.
Decoction mashing produces results that are very difficult to replicate otherwise.
That I will buy. I do believe that 10 million years* of German decoction brewing must have something particular to offer the craft. And I’ve tasted plenty of the products and find the theory sound.

But specifying a decoction mash is a different instruction than simply raising the mash through the various enzyme happy zones, which is the basis for my complaint. (Which I’ve gotten over. :))

*approximate sum total time spent brewing of every German who ever lived

Back