Unmalted wheat question *Please help*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I am going to do a Wit with unmalted wheat. With the wheat would it be best to just do a rest at say 152 for a half an hour with the wheat alone and then boil it for a while, just mash it using steps or just boil it for 30 to 60 minutes. It seems that there are a ton of different ways people do things. My plan as of now is to rest the wheat by itself at 152 and then boil it for 30 minutes. Then I was going to add it to a just created mash witht he 6-row malt. Also, how much water do I use in the wheat. I was just going to split up the water amounts I would use for the 6 row ( and rice hulls ) by itself and use the rest of the mash water + boil off in the unmalted wheat. !!!!Please help!!!!

Is it just raw, unmalted wheat or flaked? If it's flaked, just run it in a regular single infusion mash. If it's unmalted, dough in with the 6-row (2 row will be fine if it's less than 50% wheat) at a 120F protein rest for 20 minutes, then hit the 152 after that for 45 minutes.

I just did a wheat with 3lbs unmalted red wheat in it. Single infusion at 151. Seemed to convert just fine. Next time I might let it sit a bit longer but didn't do anything else special. Cheers!

Back