Yeast Recommendation for B-Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Well, before the warmer months get here, I wanna do a second barleywine. The first time around, I used Nottingham...this was back in the days when I was still doing all dry yeast. Anyway, it finished at about 1.030, down from 1.123. I was pretty impressed with that figure, especially from el cheapo dried yeast. I want to replicate this, but I was wondering if there's a liquid yeast that is designed for specifically this purpose. My basement is colder these days, and I'm not sure if N-Ham will perform the same as before. Suggestions?

What recipe are you using? Would you mind posting it if it's all-grain? I'm working on a recipe for this weekend.

Are you planning an american or english barleywine?

For an american BW I would use WLP001/1056 for the clean flavors and high attenuation. For my english ales I tend to use WLP002, but almost any english yeast would work.

What about this one?

WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast
Can ferment up to 25% alcohol. From England. Produces ester character that increases with increasing gravity. Malt character dominates at lower gravities.
Attenuation: >80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Very High

I was considering it for my upcoming Barleywine. Great attenuation, good temp range for the cooler part of the year, high high tolerance.

I used WLP-001 on a yeast cake and got almost 80% attenuation. My OG was 1.111. And my fermentation temps were lower than normal, probably in the mid 60's, with a good chance it saw some even below 60 at night. I'd make a Pale Ale or an IPA or something like that and pitch on the cake.

I can't think of any good reason to not use Nottingham again. A barleywine is complex enough that your yeast selection doesn't matter much. The high starting gravity and resultant ABV eliminates most liquid yeasts anyway. Nottingham can handle lower temperatures than 099 or 001.

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. Ideally suited for Scottish-style ales, and high-gravity ales of all types. Can be estery with warm fermentation temperatures. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 69-73%. (55-75° F, 13-24° C)

. . . worked GREAT on my 11% Wee Heavy

Latest posts

Back