Dry hopping a cornie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do it. Just use a hop bag to keep it contained.

Use whole hops only. Even bagged pellets will cause clogging and poppet jams. Sanitize the bag first, but you don't have to do anything with the hops. I generally leave the bag in for one to two weeks. If I want more nose, I'll pull the first bag and add fresh.

Use a bag with whole hops, then either santize a couple of marbles or some stainless heavy duty washers and put them in the bag with the hops and tie a piece of unscented dental floss to the bag, then tie the other end off on the handle of the keg. The keg will still seal up around the floss. and it makes it real easy to get the bag out. The weights keep the hops submerged in the beer the whole time.

Cheers

I do it all the time, but I don't even bother to weight the hop bag. I should try that some time and see if there's any difference.

Forget the bags, pick up some cheap and reusable tea infusers. Couple bucks and you have a ready made dry hopper that will stay at the bottom of the keg, and can be used over and over.

englishteastore_1934_2255917

Forget the bags, pick up some cheap and reusable tea infusers. Couple bucks and you have a ready made dry hopper that will stay at the bottom of the keg, and can be used over and over.

I use the 3" stainless tea infuser when I "dry oak" in the keg. It holds exactly 2oz. of oak cubes. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the gas in tube and hang it from there. Works great.

Back