How to brew to drink Feb. 3rd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabernak

Reaction score
This evening I'm starting my first homebrew extract. My goal is to have it ready to drink on the SuperBowl, Feb 3rd. The extract kit for this is Liberty Cream Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3321

My question is what would be the best way to plan on the timings in primary/secondary/bottle to have it ready in time? I'm willing to sacrifice a little quality to have the first one ready to drink (keyword, little), but I don't want to end up with it being flat.

That means I have about 39 days to decide to utlize on what. I'm debating whether or not to use the secondary on this one. As a newb, it seems the easiest route would be to just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks and then bottle it for 3 weeks. What do you think? Should I try to organize the time so I can put it in the secondary for a week, is it worth that? Thanks for any advice.

I think you will be in good shape for the big game, at worst perhaps a little on the flat side, as it takes time for the carbonation to build up in the bottle. And flavor will improve over time.

My first few batches were similiar to this. Wait for fermentation to completely stop in the primary probably 5 to 7 days is usually more than enough. Siphon it off to the bottling bucket with your priming sugar (follow those instructions!). Bottle it and leave it sit. Don't put them in the fridge until the day before the game.

You are in good shape to enjoy a fine home brew.

That is the same kit I used for my first brew, started it on Dec. 10 I believe and moved to secondary on the 18th. Bottling on Jan. 2nd or 3rd when I get back. It could have gone a little shorter in the primary (a day or two) but I just didnt have a chance to move it over. If you follow that same schedule brew on the 25th and put in primary move to secondary on the 31st or 1st. Moved to bottles on Jan 14th or so, then 2 more weeks in bottles before the big game. Shouldnt need to do anything out of the ordinary if all goes smoothly.

Skip the secondary for this one. Just leave it in the primary a bit longer - 10 days or up to 2 weeks. Then bottle and leave them in a warm place until the day before the big game. You should be fine.

I would def. plan on the full three weeks in the bottles to be sure they are properly carbed. Whether or not to use the secondary is up to you. If you want a clearer beer, then I say use it, but looking back through my notes when I started it was one week in the primary then into the bottles. Those were decent brews, but I have learned the more time you have, the better your beer is gonna be. Just my $.02.

If you can get a second pack of yeast it may help to reduce lag time & finish quicker. 3 weeks is enough in the bottle, but the more time the better...

Thanks, I think I'll do the extra time in the primary and put them straight into bottles after that like a couple suggested. I must admit, we decided to put brew day off until tomorrow after the big Christmas meal though, so I lost 1 more day for that carbonation.

I hope it turns out good in time for the big game. If they're still a little flat I can leave the rest out to carbonate a little longer too. I'm planning on starting a lager and aging it properly next, I knew I'd want to push out my first homebrew as fast as I could though.

Back