Portable igloo cooler kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I was looking at the target one. Only problem is they screw you on shipping. Sports authority has them in store. I was going to try and price match

yeah I was looking at the target one. Only problem is they screw you on shipping. Sports authority has them in store. I was going to try and price match

The local Tractor Supply has a pile of them. I think the price was $45.

I got mine at Gander Mountain.

Okay getting ready to pull the trigger on a 70 qt model. My 2, 2.5 gallon kegs with rubber on top and bottom will not fit in the 60 qt. They start to fit but about halfway down they get stuck. Can anyone confirm that 2 of these kegs will fit in the 70 qt?
2.5GalKeg.jpg

I can fit a pair of either 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs with the single metal handle in the 70 quart Igloo cube cooler. You might want to put the CO2 on the outside (get or make a gas bulkhead). If the keg you're looking at is the same height and width you'll be fine.

BTW, Rebel Brewer has the 3 gallon kegs at a great price (brand new). I'm getting all of mine from them these days.

How much wiggle room do you have with the 2 with metal handles. Mine have rubber and are a tinny bit wider cause of that

Enough room that they fit without issue. One was more on the axle hump, but that was ok too. Idont think that I would be able to fit kegs that are wider than the ones with metal handles. That's also why I said to put the CO2 outside so that there's room for ice to keep the kegs cool.

SUCCESS!!! Using the 70 qt I was able to fit 2, 2.5 gallon kegs but it was a tight fit. Actually to say tight is not giving it its true justice. I had to lube up the kegs and cooler with vegetable oil and wiggle the second keg back and forth until it got low enough to close the lid. Even thought the lid closes the keg stick stick out of the cooler with the lid open (see last photo). The lip of the lid hits the handle of the keg and pushes it very slightly to the side as it closes but one closed it is fine, even with a ball lock on it. Thanks to the doomed top there is plenty of space. So 2, 2.5 gallon rubber handled kegs will fit with some effort. Here is the proof

this is going to make for a fun camping trip

I've kegged but 4 brews now and I'm already sick of toting growlers everywhere. This entire thread is full of awesome. Thanks to Dr. Deathweed and also to you folks recently posting the double 2.5 gal pics. I now have some shopping to do, this is going to make for some epic lake days.

SkipperNC said:
I've kegged but 4 brews now and I'm already sick of toting growlers everywhere. This entire thread is full of awesome. Thanks to Dr. Deathweed and also to you folks recently posting the double 2.5 gal pics. I now have some shopping to do, this is going to make for some epic lake days.

Post any questions. I subscribe to this thread and get quick updates. Did I post my material and price sheet? I can email it to you too.

ekjohns said:
SUCCESS!!! Using the 70 qt I was able to fit 2, 2.5 gallon kegs but it was a tight fit. Actually to say tight is not giving it its true justice. I had to lube up the kegs and cooler with vegetable oil and wiggle the second keg back and forth until it got low enough to close the lid. Even thought the lid closes the keg stick stick out of the cooler with the lid open (see last photo). The lip of the lid hits the handle of the keg and pushes it very slightly to the side as it closes but one closed it is fine, even with a ball lock on it. Thanks to the doomed top there is plenty of space. So 2, 2.5 gallon rubber handled kegs will fit with some effort. Here is the proof

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2571205200064533511KthkOS

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2487015470064533511oslBhH

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2431972350064533511qUGWnR

this is going to make for a fun camping trip

Nice work. I think the culprit is the slight indent near the wheel wells. You can notch a section of rubber base lip to allow it to clear I think. That's just what I've seen from when I built mine. Planning to keg my next two batches in my 2.5 's for my family vacation.

the other thing is there is a bead of rubber that goes around the keg where the rubber top and bottom meet the SS. This could be shaved down but I don't want to modify my brand new kegs. The trick I found was to use vegetable oil to help everything slide down nice and smooth. Tight but smooth

ekjohns said:
the other thing is there is a bead of rubber that goes around the keg where the rubber top and bottom meet the SS. This could be shaved down but I don't want to modify my brand new kegs. The trick I found was to use vegetable oil to help everything slide down nice and smooth. Tight but smooth

Yup. I've seen that on new, small kegs. Mine do not have it.

Has anyone been able to fit one in an orange 5 gallon drink cooler? I only have one keg and don't want to buy another due to price. So this would work perfect if it fits with enough ice.

I hollowed out the lid of one of the new rolling 5 gallon beverage coolers. Then cut a found hole at the back of the lid and another at the front of the lid, the back hole for the co2 hose with a paintball tank mounted to the back between the rails of the handle, and the front hole for the spout. It fits my 3 gallon kegs perfectly, I drop in an ice blanket between the keg and the inside of the cooler and it's lasted through 6 hours of 90 degree heat at the pool and another 3-4 hours in my friends backyard.

DrHops said:
I hollowed out the lid of one of the new rolling 5 gallon beverage coolers. Then cut a found hole at the back of the lid and another at the front of the lid, the back hole for the co2 hose with a paintball tank mounted to the back between the rails of the handle, and the front hole for the spout. It fits my 3 gallon kegs perfectly, I drop in an ice blanket between the keg and the inside of the cooler and it's lasted through 6 hours of 90 degree heat at the pool and another 3-4 hours in my friends backyard.

Picture? That sounds awesome.

The black piece on the back is a piece of 1 by 6 inch board that I painted black and epoxied to the back of the cooler. I attached a water bottle holder for a bike and two velcro straps to hold the co 2 bottle.

ForumRunner_20120625_152942.jpg

Is everyone moving the co2 tank outside cause the bottle is freezing? Im taking mine camping tomorrow and have yet to decide how I want to mount the 20oz paintball tank

I moved mine to the outside due to the size of the tank. It wouldn't fit on the inside. When I use my 70 qt ice cube cooler, it sits on the inside. I've never had an issue with the co2 tank freezing up. Just make sure that the tank is sitting straight up and down, you do not want to have it sitting on it's side.

Is everyone moving the co2 tank outside cause the bottle is freezing? Im taking mine camping tomorrow and have yet to decide how I want to mount the 20oz paintball tank

ek - Mine fit inside...BARELY. So, I hung it outside for space. I like the space and having the regulator easily accessible. I do not like having it hang off the back when I have to negotiate stairs.

BTW, now that I figured out how to jump between kegs and transfer carbonated beer......the mobile kegerator is a must-have.

Good luck...I love it.

I just bought the 60 qt cooler that looks identical to this only (obviously) a bit smaller...looks like mostly in the lid. I only have one 3 gallon keg at the moment, but does anyone have this 60 qt setup who was able to fit 2 kegs in it?

Thanks

0003422345098_A.jpg

I just bought the 60 qt cooler that looks identical to this only (obviously) a bit smaller...looks like mostly in the lid. I only have one 3 gallon keg at the moment, but does anyone have this 60 qt setup who was able to fit 2 kegs in it?

Thanks

I saw those in the grocery store and thought about getting one for a single (2.5 or 3 gallon) keg model. I still might pick on up and modify it after I've moved.

Ya one keg fits in there quite nicely...however there is a lot of empty space in there if it is not big enough for 2 kegs...I seen this (see below) cooler at the store too but I didn't know at the time if the 3 gal would fit but it looks like someone in here...(on pg 18) made it work. Looks like it might be a better option than having a bigger cooler with alot of dead space...might help keep it cooler as well.

igloosportroller5gmajblue42115.jpg

the 60 qt did not fit my 2 2.5 gallon kegs with the rubber tops. It might have fit with the ones metal handles on top but would need some modifications to the kegs. My kegs are brand new and the price difference between the 60 and 70 qt coolers did not justify trimming the kegs

Lowes has the 60 qt on super sale right now... I would have to fit two 3 gallons with metal tops, so I guess that won't work? The 70qts are at least twice the price.

I saw that too. If the bottom cooler dimensions are the same. You can buy the 70qt lid. ah..Get your replacement lid here to fix your cooler as good as new! White, foamed, dome-shaped lid fits Igloo 60-70 Quart Ice Cubeâ„¢ cubed-shaped coolers. Converts a 60 Quart Ice Cube into a 70 Quart Ice Cube.

Looks like if you find the 60 for super cheap, buy the lid for 20 and convert it to a 70qt.

Lowes has the 60 qt on super sale right now... I would have to fit two 3 gallons with metal tops, so I guess that won't work? The 70qts are at least twice the price.

What was the price? I saw that too but forget the price. I'm recalling like 13 bucks or something insane.

Here are pics of the inside with a keg in it and the co2 strapped to the back. It is a little back heavy, you must put the keg into the cooler before you slide the co2 tank into the back or it will fall over backwards.

image-2290868873.jpg

image-4161141868.jpg

image-1561066170.jpg

DrHops said:
Here are pics of the inside with a keg in it and the co2 strapped to the back. It is a little back heavy, you must put the keg into the cooler before you slide the co2 tank into the back or it will fall over backwards.

Nicely done

There are those new 2.5 gallon kegs from China that have slightly different dimensions being shorter but slightly larger diameter. Has anyone tried squeezing two of those bad boys in an ice cube?

megalomani said:
There are those new 2.5 gallon kegs from China that have slightly different dimensions being shorter but slightly larger diameter. Has anyone tried squeezing two of those bad boys in an ice cube?

If you are trying to put 2 3-gallon kegs into an Igloo IceCube, wider is probably not good. Have you read this whole thread and seen the posts regarding shaving the rubber boot on newer kegs?

I can say mine are old and it's tight.

TimmyR said:
If you are trying to put 2 3-gallon kegs into an Igloo IceCube, wider is probably not good. Have you read this whole thread and seen the posts regarding shaving the rubber boot on newer kegs?

I can say mine are old and it's tight.

Yes I read the entire thread before posting. None of the posts mention anything about 2.5 gallon kegs, so my question is not covered.

Here is the link to the keg in question: http://cornykeg.com/catalog.asp?prodid=751502&showprevnext=1

They give a diameter of 9" from the seller. The 3 gallon keg with rubber bottom are said to be 8.5", but I am not certain how accurate or if the diameter is outer or inner.

Sorry, I was not trying to come across the wrong way. I was just trying to get a an idea of what you were asking.

Both types of my kegs measure approximately 8.5" outside diameter.

Latest posts

Back