Mod'ing Ed Worts Haus Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Since I have been brewing, I have tried to brew one beer from a different style each time. I am pretty much over that and now want to see what different ingredients do to the beer. I thought that Ed Worts Haus Ale would be a perfect recipe with which to compare ingredients. My plan now is to swap out the vienna malt with another specialty malt.

What malts do you suggest? I was thinking the first one should be something like biscuit or victory, and then maybe a munich. I am not worried about color, just trying to get the flavors of the different malts. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I can get my hands on some cascade, but I'll do the best I can.

What do my fellow HBT'ers think?

Jason

Munich sounds good. Of course, I've been brewing a similar recipe repeatedly using Pilsner as the base, and a different hop every time. Use whatever hops you want, but be sure to adjust the quantities for appropriate IBU's.

Good idea. Start out by swapping Munich for the Vienna. Maybe the next time swap Maris Otter for the Pale. Take copious notes, so if you like your changes, you can duplicate the beer again. Good luck!

EdWort said:
Good idea. Start out by swapping Munich for the Vienna. Maybe the next time swap Maris Otter for the Pale. Take copious notes, so if you like your changes, you can duplicate the beer again. Good luck!

Yeah munich sounds good. I recently made a pale ale with both munich and biscuit, and I really like it, but I am not sure what made it different than your recipe. So now I want to try and only change one thing at a time and see what its like. Hopefully I'll get my kegging up and going soon to make this process easier!

Jason

Back