Bottle srorage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscampag

Reaction score
I was sondering. Is it really necessary to stor the bottled wine laying on it's side? I think I saw someone mention that you really don't need to with the modern corks. Just wondered. It would be a lot more convenient for me if I could just leave them standing up Then I wouldn't have to dig to the bottom of the pile to get the older ones.

Thanks for your input.

It depends on what type of corks you are using. If you are using a synthetic cork, it is not "neccessary" to lie them down on their sides, but you still run a chance of them drying out over an extended period. If you are using a natural cork, you should keep it on it's side to prevent drying out. Another thing you can do is just stand them up, upside down so the cork is still touching the wine. Just remember to bring it right side up for a few hours before serving to bring the sediment back to the bottom.

I would highly recommend going with natural corks if you are planning on aging this wine though. The natural corks allow good oxygen contact through the pourous material which allows for good aging. Again, only if stored on it's side though. Hope this helps!

Back