I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from the world of education and I'm not sayin this to be a dick but you have very little legal grounds in terms of bringing suit against the school district. Remember, everyone is entitled to a free public education and there are laws (individuals with disabilities education act) that makes it real tough.

Second, unless it is a private school a teacher or group of teachers should not be fearing for their jobs...that's why there is a union, CBA and tenure. It takes a whole hell of a lot for a principal and school district to fire a tenured teacher...I'm talking minimum 6-8 months.

Third, when you go talk to the principal make sure you make him aware that if the situation is not resolved you will be going to the Superintendent. Once the Superintendent gets involved all bets are off for the principal. Not only do Principals hate it when their boss gets involved it makes them look like ****ty and they don't have control over what's going on in their school.

Biggest thing, don't go in there making threats. Go in calm, cool and collected. Make sure you address all your concerns and be upfront about going to the higher ups if the situation isn't being handled. Remind him that your child is also entitled to a safe school environment and if one isn't provided by the principal you'll go higher up.

Hope this helps, if you need any other advice PM me and I'll be happy to advise you as best I can.

I get what you are saying. The school my son goes to unfortunately is not affiliated with any union. Here in Nebraska it is a right to work state, unfortunately and the teachers in grades k-5 do tend to have very short tenure here. My big issue was how to address it considering he has blown me off several times about this over the last 3 years. If this was normal bullying like what I understand bullying to be I would just expect my son to tough up and deal with it but my son is really being harmed here. I really couldn't believe I got blown off when he stabbed my son through the hand with a pencil (three stitches and a round of antibiotics later and the kid got nothing.) I know I am really angry now and I'll be more chill when I talk to him tomorrow. Can you explain at all where the line for protecting a disabled child and protecting the safety of mine ends? Can I request his parents info like a phone number?

"An agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or religious doctrine. Agnostics assert that it’s impossible for human beings to know anything about how the universe was created and if divine beings exist.

Agnosticism was coined by biologist T.H. Huxley and comes from the Greek agnostos, which means “unknown or unknowable.”

To complicate matters, atheists and agnostics are often confused with theists and deists.

A theist is the opposite of an atheist. Theists believe in the existence of a god or gods.

(One place where science and spirituality intersect is the concept of the “God Particle.”)

Like a theist, a deist believes in God. But a deist believes that while God created the universe, natural laws determine how the universe plays out.

Deists are often connected to Isaac Newton’s Clockwork Universe theory, where the universe is compared to a clock that has been wound up and set in motion by God but is governed by the laws of science."

T.X.Huxley wrote a short book on yeast. It's on my kindle. Weird world.

BTW, he's the uncle or similar to Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World.

Hey guys. Good to see you're all still hanging out here and doing well. I keep meaning to log in and see how things are going, but never do. Got married in September. Time has never flown by so fast for me this past year and a half. I have a feeling that's just going to get worse. Anyway, I'd like to incorporate some HBT time back in to my schedule. And some brewing for that matter. :) Hopefully I'll see you around.
Youtube

Congrats on the marriage! I assume that's her in your avatar. She's lovely.

I saw steve miller in concert a few years ago. What a guy. My favorite album of his is Number 5. Cheers! See you 'round the forum.

Unfortunately, in today's public society you can't fight ignorance and politics. In public schools, you're screwed. Your best bet is putting your kid in a private school if can't get your child changed to another class. I understand that's a big change, maybe unacceptable.

My kids went to public, so I'm not some uppity ivy league type. But as I said, you can't get far in the public area. It's WAY too politically correct.

I did go to private schools when I was young. There wasn't any sort of problem like you're describing there (but there were other problems, more of the uppity ivy league problems you'd expect at private schools; might get yer ass beat by an angry nun :) ).
I hear you PP. I went to military school so fighting was acceptable and normal but we didnt have huge bully issues. If you had a problem with someone you just called them out to the sand pits and they either showed up and winner takes all or they backed down and stfu. But you are right this public school system is way to pc to actually protect the safety and interests of the children.

I have another life advice question for you guys.

So my son has had a bully for about 3 years now. The kid is autistic (or so he is labeled) and about 3 times the size of my son. Keeping in mind my son is 7 and the other kid 8. This kid has been in my son's class since kindergarten and there have been more violent altercations between the two of them than I can count. My son has been stabbed with a pencil, punched, kicked, you name it. We today I get a call from the school nurses office and it's my son on the line crying because this kid beat the crap out of him today and he is too scared to go back to class.

So I leave work and get my son and chat with my son's teacher for a minute. Turns out this kid has many violent outbursts daily and my son is not the only target. The teacher is begging me to talk to the principal again (i have many times now, not that it does any good) because she is scared of this kid and so are some of the other teachers. I asked why they don't rally around the victims and demand the child's removal to an alternative school. Apparently they are scared their jobs are on the line if they do. So I got a lot of info about what is going on with not just my son but other children as well but they want me to claim my son told me everything. So I'm going to talk to the principal AGAIN tomorrow.

Question is, how would you handle this? Clearly he doesn't seem to mind that children are getting hurt both physically and emotionally under his watch. Do I threaten legal action? Do I go above him?(not really sure what the next step above him is because I went to a military school growing up and it wasn't the same). Need some advice. Thanks all.

I asked my wife--she is a former teacher who is now a field staff representative for the teacher's union. She is closely involved in developing and implementing anti-bullying policies. This is what she suggested:

Since the principal appears to be unable or unwilling to address issues with this violent student, go up the chain and contact an administrator at the superintendent level. Inquire about the district's policy on bullying. Many school districts have written policies--with corrective measures--to deal with this. Your district may or may not have a policy or plan on this, but even so, your inquiry will put them on notice that there is a serious problem and hopefully they will get the ball rolling to do something to protect your son and other students.

Fortunately, school bullying is being taken more seriously than it has in the past. Educators are becoming more aware and involved in finding solutions to this problem.

Good luck, and I hope that your son can soon find relief from this bullying.

I get what you are saying. The school my son goes to unfortunately is not affiliated with any union. Here in Nebraska it is a right to work state, unfortunately and the teachers in grades k-5 do tend to have very short tenure here. My big issue was how to address it considering he has blown me off several times about this over the last 3 years. If this was normal bullying like what I understand bullying to be I would just expect my son to tough up and deal with it but my son is really being harmed here. I really couldn't believe I got blown off when he stabbed my son through the hand with a pencil (three stitches and a round of antibiotics later and the kid got nothing.) I know I am really angry now and I'll be more chill when I talk to him tomorrow. Can you explain at all where the line for protecting a disabled child and protecting the safety of mine ends? Can I request his parents info like a phone number?

The line is unfortunately varied depending on what state you are in. As far as I'm concerned that line has been crossed a million times over but it varies per state. Your child is definitely guaranteed a safe school environment as to where that falls with a child with disabilities I can't tell you...the IDEA law provides a lot of protection for things like this so it is tough.

They legally can't give you the contact info of another student due to a law called FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). This law was created to protect students and families privacy because ALOT of information can be shared at the school level about students and their health, family life, etc. so unfortunately that's a no go.

Like I said in my previous post, if the principal doesn't do anything or seemed concerned I would go right to the superintendent. If the superintendent doesn't do anything that's when you go call your local news team and a lawyer. At that point the school district will have to do something because they won't want the bad press.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions more directly but I hope it helps you out some!

sfgoat, let me start by saying that I am not a teacher or in school systems. The touchy subject of your whole problem is that the bully is technically identified as being special needs/disabled/alternately abled/whatever the PC buzz word is currently. This makes the administration worried to pursue any action against the child. Your child, the teachers, and other children should not have to be afraid of this child though. This makes me wonder if you are going to be reporting to us several years in down the line that this bully decided to make national news. My suggestion would be to have this meeting with the principal, discuss the fact that on his/her watch for the past X years this has been going on, and that a resolution needs to be come up with. Tell them that being in class with this bully is preventing your child from reaching his potential because he fears exposure to the bully. If they cannot do anything with the trouble child, at the very least move your child into a different class so that he will no longer under the terror of the bully, and keep things that way throughout his time in that school (I am assuming elementary school). Otherwise go to the superintendent, go to the County, go to the school board. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen because even though there are a lot of laws in place to protect disabled children, there are laws to protect all other children as well. And as others have said, bullying has become a hot topic recently and schools and communities have stopped tolerating it. You have options.

Also, I am sorry that your son has had to put up with this. He is a trooper for dealing with as much as he has. I think he deserves a cookie.

Well I talked to the principal today. He originally tried to blow me off but I was stern in my demand to meet face to face with him and we made it happen. I voiced all of my concerns and he originally tried to offer to move my son to a different class but my son really likes his current teacher so I told the principal that I consider that punishing the victim and it was not an acceptable resolution. He went in to tell me just what some of you guys said, "Due to different laws he cant just move the kid and pawn him off on another teacher. The school my son goes to is a small suburb school so it doesn't have any of the special programs for these kids that some of the other schools have. I explained that if something wasn't done then I would go above him and talk to the superintendent as this has been an ongoing issue for 3 years now so he said that they would begin the long arduous process of analyzing the kid to see if he needs to be sent to a school in the district that has a behavioral program and that in the mean time he would be assigned someone that would have to be with him at all times to help prevent any more violence. After that I made it abundantly clear that I would be watching and in touch with those around him. I did take a recorder with me to record the meeting and he did leave me with the impression that he intended to silence the teachers in some way but with that recording I should be able to help protect them from retaliatory practices. I also consulted my lawyer and he agreed that I should allow him some time to implement some changes but if he doesn't and the superintendent doesn't then we will have grounds to file a civil suit against the school to force them to handle this issue. @DrunkleJon , I used your phrasing that I was afraid this kid would make national news if something wasn't done now and that I didn't want the victim that makes the news to be my son or any other child in his class. Now we just wait and hope for the best.

I'm happy to hear that things should be heading up with your son. Whatever you do just don't back down and settle. Your kid is worth more than that. The world needs more parents that care as much as you.

Well I talked to the principal today. He originally tried to blow me off but I was stern in my demand to meet face to face with him and we made it happen. I voiced all of my concerns and he originally tried to offer to move my son to a different class but my son really likes his current teacher so I told the principal that I consider that punishing the victim and it was not an acceptable resolution. .... Now we just wait and hope for the best.

Maybe check with Mike McKnight (Omaha WOWT) to see if he has done a school bullying investigation in the past or possibly is interested in one in the future.

http://www.wowt.com/station/bios/news/7967237.html

Maybe check with Mike McKnight (Omaha WOWT) to see if he has done a school bullying investigation in the past or possibly is interested in one in the future.

http://www.wowt.com/station/bios/news/7967237.html

I'm going to watch things really close for a few weeks to see if things don't improve first and then this might be my next step. I appreciate the link though as I'm not from around here and navigating this stuff is all strange to me.

Well I talked to the principal today. He originally tried to blow me off but I was stern in my demand to meet face to face with him and we made it happen. I voiced all of my concerns and he originally tried to offer to move my son to a different class but my son really likes his current teacher so I told the principal that I consider that punishing the victim and it was not an acceptable resolution. He went in to tell me just what some of you guys said, "Due to different laws he cant just move the kid and pawn him off on another teacher. The school my son goes to is a small suburb school so it doesn't have any of the special programs for these kids that some of the other schools have. I explained that if something wasn't done then I would go above him and talk to the superintendent as this has been an ongoing issue for 3 years now so he said that they would begin the long arduous process of analyzing the kid to see if he needs to be sent to a school in the district that has a behavioral program and that in the mean time he would be assigned someone that would have to be with him at all times to help prevent any more violence. After that I made it abundantly clear that I would be watching and in touch with those around him. I did take a recorder with me to record the meeting and he did leave me with the impression that he intended to silence the teachers in some way but with that recording I should be able to help protect them from retaliatory practices. I also consulted my lawyer and he agreed that I should allow him some time to implement some changes but if he doesn't and the superintendent doesn't then we will have grounds to file a civil suit against the school to force them to handle this issue. @DrunkleJon , I used your phrasing that I was afraid this kid would make national news if something wasn't done now and that I didn't want the victim that makes the news to be my son or any other child in his class. Now we just wait and hope for the best.

Sounds like your typical principal who is trying to move up in the education world and doesn't want something on his record. I also did a little research today about your area and found that teachers do have a union...from what you said with high turnover rate though seems like many are missing out on that benefit if they are young teachers because they don't have tenure which can lead principals to manipulate them...this principal is asking for trouble though if he retaliates against them with or without a union.

Good luck with every thing and keep us posted! My wife had a very similar situation before she landed her own classroom when she was working as a one-to-one para. The child was labeled and would have violent outbursts...my wife was bit and stabbed with a pencil as well. She requested a transfer into the math department and thank god she got it. She cried everyday after school...and she always said it wasn't his fault he couldn't control himself but the emotional toll it took on her and the classroom teacher was crazy.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out for the best!

Sfgoat

Very proud of you for taking a stand. The replies to your question are a lot more intelligent and better than my own angry thoughts. Hang in there, sounds like you are dealing with this situation very responsibly.

Cheers to you my friend! All my best

Dan

The line is unfortunately varied depending on what state you are in. As far as I'm concerned that line has been crossed a million times over but it varies per state. Your child is definitely guaranteed a safe school environment as to where that falls with a child with disabilities I can't tell you...the IDEA law provides a lot of protection for things like this so it is tough.

They legally can't give you the contact info of another student due to a law called FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). This law was created to protect students and families privacy because ALOT of information can be shared at the school level about students and their health, family life, etc. so unfortunately that's a no go.

Like I said in my previous post, if the principal doesn't do anything or seemed concerned I would go right to the superintendent. If the superintendent doesn't do anything that's when you go call your local news team and a lawyer. At that point the school district will have to do something because they won't want the bad press.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions more directly but I hope it helps you out some!

After three years, and multiple meetings with the principal, I wouldn't bother talking to him again. I'd go straight to the superintendent at this point. The principal is just a waste of time, IMHO.

*EDIT* I see you have already talked to him. I can only say, good luck at this point. You do seem to have a handle on things pretty well.

Veterans Day soon and every other day as well is a time to reflect and give thanks to those who serve or have served. Thank them for things we all take for granted. Reflect not just on the Holliday. Everyday

Ok. Off my soapbox, for now [emoji3]

I used yesterday to clean the bikes. They were ridiculously dirty and rusted. They aren't now. The chrome gleans, beautiful gorgeous paint shines like they were new on a showroom floor this is the before shot. I got them sweet looking and rode. Forgot to take pics of that. It was glorious though. Trust me, it was.....

http://youtu.be/3OdZsrVXd4o

I used yesterday to clean the bikes. They were ridiculously dirty and rusted. They aren't now. The chrome gleans, beautiful gorgeous paint shines like they were new on a showroom floor this is the before shot. I got them sweet looking and rode. Forgot to take pics of that. It was glorious though. Trust me, it was.....

http://youtu.be/3OdZsrVXd4o

Nice bikes, Dan. Really dig the Fatboy.

Over the weekend I got a call that my father passed away. 24 hours later I got a second call that his wife also passed away. I realize there are numerous silver linings about going together and each of them not having to mourn, but damn its a lot for one weekend. He was a good man and amazingly devoted to his wife of 20+ years.

Over the weekend I got a call that my father passed away. 24 hours later I got a second call that his wife also passed away. I realize there are numerous silver linings about going together and each of them not having to mourn, but damn its a lot for one weekend. He was a good man and amazingly devoted to his wife of 20+ years.

Albert, I am truly sorry for the loss of your dad and his beloved wife. My condolences to you brother, and friend.

I. Just got off the phone with my daughter. An hour and s half conversation. So good talking with her. She knows me very well and I know her. I'm not a great parent but somehow ended up with great kids. I don't get it but am certainly happy. I must have done something right over the years. Or maybe my wrongs my kids learned from.

Cheers

Holy crap. Sorry to hear LRB. My condolences to you and yours. It is hard enough losing one family member, I cannot imagine losing two in a weekend.

This reminds me that I should call my parents and see how they are doing. Sure I talked with them both this past weekend, but you never know when you are going to get one of these calls. Call your parents, hug your kids and significant other. You never know when something might happen.

Sorry to hear that LRB. I'd like to wish you and your family my sincerest condolences. I can't imagine how it must feel.

Taps and what it means to me.

Tomorrow, maybe today when you read this, will be Veterans Day.

Most of you know I'm a vet. I know many of you are too; and there is more than likely a Veteran in your family or a Veteran you know

Believe or not, I'm a peace loving man. Vets are people like us all.. President John F Kennedy once said something like, the best he ever did in his life was to serve his country. Obviously,,, the United States of America. I 100% agree.

If you look into the history of Taps you'll find different stories of its origin.

To me there is one words to this haunting, comforting trumpet, bugle call

I was looking to put up something inspirational for Veterans Day. Truth is, there is too much. My eyes haven't been dry in the last two hours.

I'll just put up taps

Day is done Gone the sun
From the lake from the hill from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is nigh

It was a bugle command known, taught by a commanding officer to his men. It meant all is safe now. Comeback home

Taps has become a safe calling. The history on its beginning is varied but no doubt the meaning is true. All is well, all is good, You are our brother.in our hands you rest

I do get a bit emotional on Veterans Day, and Memorial Day, and Fourth of July, and Harley Davidson, and Christmas, and Columbus Day and..... :)

Cheers!

Woah! Damn LRB, sorry to hear all of that. You have memories. It's alright. Remember your pops.

Back