Water softener water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsscram

Reaction score
What is everyones thought on using water softener water here. Acording to a few things I been read softened water may be a issue. Also does any one have any book recommends or links for more info on water chemisty with brewing.

thanks

I have a softener however I use my carbon filter for all water used in my brewing process. I think this captures most of the salt remnants that may be left over? It's minuscule so I don't think it plays much into brewing.

Certain styles require soft water (Pils), but in that case it means water with almost no minerals, not "softened" water. Most water softeners use salt, which probably wouldn't be a problem. I would taste the water ahead of the softener & if it doesn't have any off flavors use that. Yeast does need some minerals to grow.

Neither Miller or Palmer spends much time discussing water other than saying the water shouldn't taste bad and the pH should be around 5.2. If it tastes bad , run it through an activated charcoal filter.

I've read long articles about water. About all they say is summerized above.

I do not know the exect numbers on the hardness of my well water. When the lady tested it with her kit she said the total hardness was 12. It is my understanding that this is a combo of calcium and magnesium. So my hardness is not that hi, but that is not why I installed the softener. The water out of my well has a lot of iron and sulfur in it. This was leaveing red rust spot on all the things that the water touched. The combo of the two make a very bad tasting water. So if I go by that article my sodium level should be fairly low.

Back