Pear aroma and Notty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just tapped my second batch of Biermuncher's Centennial blonde and man all I can smell is pears!

For the sake of learning, I brewed a 10g batch and fermented half w/ US-05 and the other w/ Notty (both @~58-60F ambient). The US-05 batch was consumed several weeks ago and was fantastic! Super clean and crisp w/ just a subtle malt backbone that lets you know it's a quality beer.

The Notty batch smells overwhelmingly of pears and has little to no malt profile that I can distinguish. It doesn't taste bad by any means, but there is almost just no flavor to it. This is my first time using Notty...are these just characteristics of this strain? Both fermentation vessels were identical, brand new better bottles w/ identical sanitation procedures. I can't think of anything that was different between the two batches. :confused:

Latest posts

Back