What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love having a man cave/ brewery. a space to do with as I please, as long as I'm neat & somewhat orderly about it. Try to keep it clean & organized, as it were. Wrote some more of my 2nd HB book while soaking another bucket of bottles to loosen the labels. I've got quite a stack going already. Looks like I'll have a lot of labels to trade for other brewery swag? :rockin:

Labels can be traded? I'm holding probably a dozen cases of 3 floyds labels, mostly zombie dust. What can be done with these?

Just finished cleaning up from a brew day. Did a batch of a mostly mosaic IPA.
Trying to clone a commercial beer called "Windstorm", from Stanley Park Brewing in Vancouver B.C.
I will call it "Rainstorm" because we have had a couple good ones over the week.

Cheers..

Pulled a couple cases of old Jester King 29mm bottles out the attic to wash and sanitize in preparation for bottling a 12 month old Kriek and a Peach Sour.

Drank a few DF 60s with lunch.

Man caves humph!

I built this 24x30 new garage because I was tired of not enough woodworking space! 8" of insulation in the walls, R50 ceiling R26 overhead door... We are into mid MN summer and right now it is 70 in there...

IMG_20151117_1539397531_zpsgkuoqhr8.jpg

I'm turning my garage into a cool mancave/brew space. Seeing as when it's 95F in there it's not cool, I picked up a used 25,000 BTU A/C unit for a fair price to make it cool. I had no windows in my garage large enough so I had to Frame an opening.

While it's more for the brew space than the brew, I'm counting it as doing something for my beer.

Labels can be traded? I'm holding probably a dozen cases of 3 floyds labels, mostly zombie dust. What can be done with these?

Folks on here & our sister site, http://www.beerforum.com/ Trade brewery swag, like caps, coasters, labels, etc for what others have. Some three floyds labels, say one of each different one you have, would be great for some of mine? I collect coasters to frame as well, I use poster frames for coasters & labels. On the wall, rather than all over the place.

Folks on here & our sister site, http://www.beerforum.com/ Trade brewery swag, like caps, coasters, labels, etc for what others have. Some three floyds labels, say one of each different one you have, would be great for some of mine? I collect coasters to frame as well, I use poster frames for coasters & labels. On the wall, rather than all over the place.

I could do that! There's quite a few different 3F brews and I do enjoy their beer so I'll start saving the labels for you.

I could do that! There's quite a few different 3F brews and I do enjoy their beer so I'll start saving the labels for you.

Cool, thanks! I've got a nice stack dried & pressing now. Still got some cases of bottles to go through. One of some, dozen of others, as it were. I have several of the Sam Adam's Rebel IPA, Crystal Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Shiner Prickly Pear too. I wish the Aldi's around here would carry Wernesgruner Pils again. I have one of those shiny gold labels. Once in a while, Giant Eagle gets some Little kings. Got one of those labels. I only got one of the copper foil Kentucky Bourbon barrel ales though. Darn glue is really stubborn, as the paper gets rather soft before the glue dissolves. I'll have to try some more of those & see what I can do.
Be careful how much PBW or the like you use in how much water! Too much, & it dulls the ink & soaks the foil off! I have four of the Victorian style UK cider bottles with foil labels I have to experiment with. I'll see if I can get you one of those. Gotta look through the garage stash. BTW, I save all the labels any particular bottle has, so some will be in sets. :mug:

Woke up sore from a needlessly long brew day yesterday... for the love of the game...

My calf muscles were sore for the same reason. Woke up today for OG reading and to pitch yeast after the beer was sealed in the primary for 12 hours. Hit 1.060 (anticipated was 1.058)!

Had to exchange co -2 bottle . A line blew off and emptied the bottle, that is what you get for not doing things right. But I went to the more beer shop and drooled over the 22 gallon brew kettle.:)

Picked up some bottle caps and a five gallon collapsible water container that I may try to rig as a cask.

Tried a suggestion by a fellow member for using a piece of dowel rod in my bench capper for straightening commercial bottle caps for trading, using as collectables, etc. I'm using a 3/4" diameter wooden dowel rod 13 1/2" long in my super Agata bench capper. The length keeps the lever nearly horizontal for less effort applied. It presses out the creases in caps just fine, but not so much with dimples from pointy protrusions on the bottle cap removal tool. Overall, it works pretty good.

I'll be straightening more caps today & soaking another batch of labels loose atm. I know some bottles I distinctly remember saving haven't shown up yet from the dusty antechamber AKA my garage. Why is it every time a man takes two solid weeks cleaning out & rearranging the garage, SWMBO takes one look, &, " I don't want this, this, that & that in MY house!" And the garage gets filled again???:mad:

Got a starter going for the Czech Pale Lager I am brewing on Sunday, started cold crashing my IPA so I can bottle it on Sunday, bought grains for my Lager, picked up bottles and caps for the IPA, and topped of my 5 gal bucket of StarSan.

Midwest also has a deal to buy 2 beer recipe kits & get the BM Bubbler free. Sorta for beer, in other news, my Best Buy membership gave me an early sale deal for their black Friday in July deal. Canon Wi-Fi all-in-one printer, regular $150, tomorrow $80, I got today for $60! It matches the colors of the desk & new computer too! Replaces the fubared Lexmark all-in-one printer, so now I'll have a whole new system finally. HOORAH! :ban:

Just washed two cases of bottles for tomorrow, or after work tonight if I decide to just skip sleep and get started with my bottling and brew day. I will be leaving in about 1 1/2 hours to go to Raleigh Brewing to pick up 5 gal of free wort, to bring home and throw some yeast at.

Well, I here's a short recap of what I did for beer this week.
1. Bought 4 beer recipes from Austin Homebrew.
2. Bought a Bayou Classic propane burner and tank.
3. Made a yeast starter.
4. Currently brewing five gallons of Summer Rye ale.

Took the truck out to my buddies farm in the valley. And brewed a nice IPA with some very nice scenery. Maui has some hidden gems
View attachment 363103
View attachment 363104

Ahh Maui! Aloha nui loa! I love the Valley Isle and plan on making it there in February to get my dose of island life and see some whales. Tell Garrett us mainlanders say mahalo for all the great beer MBC produces.

Brewed a saison today. As I was stirring the wort in an ice water bath I lifted my slotted spoon to find a little fruit fly sized maggot/larvae of some sort still wiggling. No idea how the hell it got in there :confused: so back on the stove to pasteurize. Ugh. No ice left to chill. So I'm just going to let it sit to cool and pitch tomorrow.

Today I contacted a person on LetGo about some brewing equipment and a fridge they are selling. It's been 8 hours and no return message yet.
:mad:

Last edited:
Back