Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallsDamBrewery

Reaction score
I just opened the first bottle of a clone of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale my wife and I bottled a couple weeks ago...and it is a "spitting image" of it...minus the spit I guess.

Great color...good head...flavorful...a great end to a long work week!

:mug:

That sounds great! Well, except for the spitting part.

I think tasting the first bottle out of a new batch is the most exciting part of homebrewing. Sounds like you did a good job with yours!

The Dead Guy clone from NB went fast for me. IMO it was very tasty! However not quite a true clone in my opinion. More than likely it was because it was an extract kit. Nothing against extract cause thats how I roll :) :D

The one I used was an extract kit from my LHBS here in Charlotte, NC. I will gather the recipe and post it later today.

I made Yoopers recipe for dead guy and it is awesome. Will always have a keg of it on tap. Do a search and you will find it here.

I tried yooper's all grain recipe. I only got 56% efficiency so its pretty light. 5.5%ABV. I read about grain crush and I blame my LHBS. I saw that .8mm is a good crush. Thinking back, the mill at my LHBS looked like it was around 2 or 3 mm crush. :(

4 lbs. Light DME
3 lbs. Extra Light DME
1 lb. bag (split in 3rds) Belgian Caramunich Malt, Crystal Malt 40L, German Dark Munich Malt
1 1/4 oz. Perle Pellet Hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. Tettnang Whole Hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Saaz Whole Hops (flavoring)
1 cup priming sugar (bottling)

I did a 1 hour boil with bittering hop addition for 45 minutes and flavoring additions for 10 minutes. 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary.

Back