Bottling a Belgian, question about bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm0f5

Reaction score
Hey All,

I brewed a Delerium Tremens clone and am looking to bottle it to 3.5 to 4.0 vol of CO2. I definitely don't want bottle bombs and don't have a corking setup to do Belgian Style bottles.

I found these flip-top style on Amazon. Would these hold 3.5-4.0 vols of CO2?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y2951C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What's the limit on regular long necks & 22oz. bombers in regards to CO2?

Thanks for your help,
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Ye olde longnecks top at around 3.0 volumes. Bombers are the same.

The bottles you linked to may or may not work. I'd probably just buy champagne bottles and plastic plugs at the LHBS if you want 4.0 volumes.

I think those flip tops should be decent for between 3 and 4. I would have to weigh one to double check. I tend to aim for a bottle glass to volume (mL) ratio around .75 for higher carbed beers like belgians. For instance if you're bottling 500ml (like those bottles) into a bottle that should weigh in or around 380grams you end up with .76. It might not be scientific but it works for me and I haven't had an issue.

Your other option would be to buy the champagne bottles at the LHBS that could possibly take 26mm crown caps.

Thanks to both of you. I was able to find a few 750ml bottles with crown caps as well as some 12 oz Leffe Blond bottles.

Much appreciated.
-Tim

I think those flip tops should be decent for between 3 and 4. I would have to weigh one to double check. I tend to aim for a bottle glass to volume (mL) ratio around .75 for higher carbed beers like belgians. For instance if you're bottling 500ml (like those bottles) into a bottle that should weigh in or around 380grams you end up with .76. It might not be scientific but it works for me and I haven't had an issue.

Your other option would be to buy the champagne bottles at the LHBS that could possibly take 26mm crown caps.

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there weighing empty bottles. Since my american champagne bottles are just over 500g that's where I set my limit for 750s, and I've taken them to 4.5 without explosions. I wonder where the limit for the 900g Cantillon glass is :)

900g glass is the standard for champagne. So 6 vol and maybe greater. I've not found a clearly referenced figure for how high some champagne is carbonated. They always just say "the contents of the bottle may reach higher than 90 PSI".

That's only if you want to cork them. If you want to cap them you have to make sure whether or not they're 26mm or 29mm. If 26mm your normal capper will work, but if 29mm you will need the 29mm capping bell.

Back