Possible CO2 leak from corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled a sour beer almost 2 months ago, using 750 ml brown bottles that can be capped with regular crown caps. I figured it would be ok to use corks instead (maybe this was my first mistake), using a floor corker, they are just about halfway in, mushrooming at the top. Finished with a wire cap, and set in a room that was about 70 degrees average. I used Landmalle's CBC-1 yeast with the recommended about of priming sugar. After 2 months, they are completely flat. I filled a single flip-top bottle with this batch, and sure enough, this one is perfectly carbonated. The corks on the other bottles seem very tight, and pop when removed. Is it possible that CO2 had been leaking from them, maybe because I didn't use actual Belgian style bottles that don't take crown caps?

If so, how should I go about salvaging? I was thinking of un-corking, adding individual doses of sugar and yeast to each bottle to re-ferment, and capping with regular caps this time.

To be able to use corks, the top 2 inches of the bottle's neck should be straight, not tapered, so it can make a seal properly.
Could that be the problem with those bottles?

Latest posts

Back