How to clean/sanitize a cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoofdogABC

Reaction score
Have searched this forum and there is some info but it doesn't seem to address this in detail, or is in a thread under another type discussion. On hand I have PBW and star-san. I need to clean and sanitize stainless steel pins (~5.4 US gal/4.5 UK)

I obviously have to put a keystone in to fill the cask with pbw; do I remove this one afterwards or leave it in permanently (assume it has been sanitized) or pop it and use another when I have sanitized the cask? My keystones and shives are plastic; aside from the obvious (soak in sanitizer before use), is there anything I need to do? (For that matter, how do you pop out an unopened keystone? just tap in enough to be able to remove with its edges?)

For FV's I use star san, a foaming sanitizer. Can I use this for the cask as well just before filling it?

Alternately, what do I need to have and do to properly clean and sanitize a cask at home?

Any help appreciated

Latest posts

Back