The ultimate conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did she wreck the car recently....lol...j/k

Looks cool man. You should do it if you can afford it...and justify it.

LOL at the responses.

Don't they make one that is heated *and* cooled? That would really rock.

If I had something like that, it'd have to be in my basement, where it's a little too cold for ales (especially Belgian yeasts) most of the year.

Yeah, SWMBO regularly tells me things like
"If you REALLY want to go to a massage parlor, go for it."
"If you REALLY want a motorcycle, get one."
"If you REALLY want to sleep with her, then do it."

REALLY means "If it's worth losing your penis over (which you most certainly will) then do it."

LOL

Can't decide who was the funniest!

Womaneze certainly can be hard to interpret.

I'd say do it and if she complains tell her

Hey I'm a man if you don't really mean it don't say it I don't do nuance.

Mine would let me to if I were to ask. BUT she knows that I wouldn't because I would loose any power to make an argument against spendings that she would like to do. Which means that, if I would like to spend the $1500 on the conical, I need to have $3000 worth of money left over.

Kai

My wife gets a she-boner off of saving money. She hates shopping and spending money. Her hobby is watching the savings grow. I was sent to destroy her.

Cheesefood said:
My wife gets a she-boner off of saving money. She hates shopping and spending money. Her hobby is watching the savings grow. I was sent to destroy her.

Would that be like a "She-Woody or Schwoody"?

I saw that nice conical too, but if I was going to spend that kind of mash, I'd buy just the stainless and put the other $1,000 into building a walk-in cooler for it and its future siblings. :cross:

EdWort said:
Would that be like a "She-Woody or Schwoody"?

I saw that nice conical too, but if I was going to spend that kind of mash, I'd buy just the stainless and put the other $1,000 into building a walk-in cooler for it and its future siblings. :cross:

I think that would be the best idea; but be ready for her to throw it back in your face someday. "Remember the beer thingy you bought that cost a lot of money, and the square footage we gave up for your beer closet, well..."

Personally...I thing $1500 is a bit overpriced. I'd buy one of Yuri's and rig a peltier and fan to it, then cover it in a thermal barrier of some sort for less than half the cost. Then...I'd hire a PI to follow my wife and find out what she's doing that'd make her feel guilty enough to let me spend that much $$ on a conical.

I agree with Jester, you will not be happy after you have spent $1700 on it and then can't even brew a lager, it is way overpriced. If you live in an area with temps in the 100's you won't even be able to brew an ale without having to cool it.

Build something yourself or use the money on controlling your fermentation temps and ferment in buckets. Fermentation temps are far more important then what you ferment in and a peltier is not very efficient.

I love the responses so far :D

Well, it would be useful for lagers. SWMBO seemed to be truly sincere-- of course I think it has something to do with the fact that she has earmarked about $5000 for new bedroom furniture.

Of course, I could always tell her that for the cost of the one conical, I could buy 3 of the fermenators, and put one of them in my lagering fridge. . .

It is pretty tempting, however. . . . I looked at the heated and cooled one, but that one was even more expensive. The way I look at it, the heating part would be wasted given the ambient temp in my fermentation room is about 68 degrees year round. . .

I just happened to notice that this thing "usually ships in 9-10 weeks."

Damn, if I put up $1500 + for this thing, I'm going to obsess about it until it gets here. . . . Really. . .9-10 weeks???

I have a buddy who's pretty much the real life version of MacGyver (ex machinist, etc). He also brews and bought the stuff to make a SS conical but never got around to it because he now owns his own brewpub. He offered to put it together for me for the cost of what he has into it. I'm thinking of adding a copper coil inside that I can pump glycol throught to cool it. It seems to me that this would work better than an externally mounted cooler.

Um, the one in the first post, is just a Peltier on a conical. Pelts are dirt cheap, and that large of a conical is only $400 or so.

I water cool computers for fun, so cooling a fermenter is not that difficult of a challenge. A couple of 2 stage pelts,would pull a fermenter down to a decent (and I'm in Az) temp, with no problem! And I could do the addition for less than $200!

steve

skou said:
Um, the one in the first post, is just a Peltier on a conical. Pelts are dirt cheap, and that large of a conical is only $400 or so.

I water cool computers for fun, so cooling a fermenter is not that difficult of a challenge. A couple of 2 stage pelts,would pull a fermenter down to a decent (and I'm in Az) temp, with no problem! And I could do the addition for less than $200!

steve

yep, that's a peltier... good point. They claim they have to special fit a block to the outside of the conical for heat transfer to occur, hence the cost (their explanation).

This would be an interesting DIY project. -- fitting the pelt to the fermenter would be an issue if I wanted efficient heat transfer.

Since it is being fitted on the cylinder part of the fermenter, simply lapping the 2 pieces to fit would be as easy as taping a piece of 2 or 300 grit sandpaper to the fermenter, and sanding a shallow curve in a piece of aluminum affixed to the pelt, so it sits on the curve. The aluminum block would only need to be 1/8th inch thick, and glued on with thermal epoxy, from www.ArcticSilver.com . It could also then be glued to the fermenter with the same adhesive.

Pelt devices, probably $40 each. Power supply to run them, stolen from a computer, $30. Adhesive, enough to do 2 or 3 fermenters, would be $10. The pelts would have a heatsink and fan on the hot side, so you wouldn't need to worry about that.

It would even be possible to design a computer program, to run the whole thing from a cheap (P3) computer, and to run the voltage backwards through the pelt, to heat the beer up. (Pelts are quite happy running backwards.)

steve

skou said:
Since it is being fitted on the cylinder part of the fermenter, simply lapping the 2 pieces to fit would be as easy as taping a piece of 2 or 300 grit sandpaper to the fermenter, and sanding a shallow curve in a piece of aluminum affixed to the pelt, so it sits on the curve. The aluminum block would only need to be 1/8th inch thick, and glued on with thermal epoxy, from www.ArcticSilver.com . It could also then be glued to the fermenter with the same adhesive.

Pelt devices, probably $40 each. Power supply to run them, stolen from a computer, $30. Adhesive, enough to do 2 or 3 fermenters, would be $10. The pelts would have a heatsink and fan on the hot side, so you wouldn't need to worry about that.

It would even be possible to design a computer program, to run the whole thing from a cheap (P3) computer, and to run the voltage backwards through the pelt, to heat the beer up. (Pelts are quite happy running backwards.)

steve

Sweet. I may just buy another Fermenator, some foam insulation, a pelt setup and give this a try. I'm surprised Yuri hasn't done this yet on his conical.

Remember, Yuri built a fermentation closet with a small window unit to maintain the desired fermentation temperature. I think he had very little investment $$$ in the closet. It will be interesting to see if a couple of peltiers could truly maintain a desired temperature when a batch is producing so much heat. I hope you try and post the results.

I've got to do some research into it, figure out the logistics, and possibly give it a try. I'll post results if I go through with it.

I remember Yuri did the closet thing, or at least I remember his "in progress" pics.

Different technologies, same end.

Back