Attempting first lager Any tricks or suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mensplace

Reaction score
Having now made ales for some years, I am going to be branching out this next week and trying to brew a lager. My first batch will be a classic Pilsen. Some of the warnings that I have read seem to indicate that due to its sheer simplicity of ingredients, it is not as forgiving or able to mask off flavors as in the heavier ales. Too, I have never attempted lagering or brewing with real lager yeast. are there any areas or differences that I need to be aware of as I make my preparations? Anything specifically NOT to do?

Along the lines of the first reply, this should help too:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - What is Different for Brewing Lager Beer?

The main differences for me to make the best lager possible would be a longer boil for pilsner malt, a definite need to cool the wort quickly after the boil to avoid DMS and very precise control over the fermentation temperature. A proper sized yeast starter would be very key too.

The foremost point when brewing lagers is being very sanitary because there is nowhere for off-tastes to hide as with ales. Use the freshest ingredients. A double size starter is important to get fermentation started quickly and don't get worried that you can not see a big krausen as lager yeasts are working on the bottom. You will see yeast moving in the fermenter if it is a carboy just like ales. Controlled fermentation temperature is a must for lagers to get the best results. Age it well and you will have a great lager.

Pretty much all that was said above is true, but do not be scared. Cleanliness and cool temps...

I like big beers, but my family and friends like pilsners and other lagers. I have spent almost all winter brewing lagers, and all have come out beautifully. Patience helps, although most of my pilsners have been yummy at 4 weeks.

Pitch a healthy amount of cold ( 45f ) yeast into cold ( 50f ) wort to start your fermentation. Keep your fermentation temps even at 50f until fermentation is completly finished, or do a diacetyl rest when fermentation slows down, and good luck.

Having now made ales for some years, I am going to be branching out this next week and trying to brew a lager. My first batch will be a classic Pilsen. Some of the warnings that I have read seem to indicate that due to its sheer simplicity of ingredients, it is not as forgiving or able to mask off flavors as in the heavier ales. Too, I have never attempted lagering or brewing with real lager yeast. are there any areas or differences that I need to be aware of as I make my preparations? Anything specifically NOT to do?

Collect more wort than normal, at least 7 gallons, maybe even 7.5. Boil 90 minutes or longer, even 120 minutes. Collecting more wort will let you boil longer and keep your volume up. If you have a good idea on what your loss is, IE you lose a gallon in an hour, increase your collected wort accordingly to do a 90 minute boil. Keep your hops schedule the same though, ie if your recipe calls for hops at 60, then don't add them until the last 60, even if you are doing a 90 minute boil.

I also tend to be more careful keeping the trub out of my lagers. After cooling the wort, I'll often rack from the pot to my bottling bucket, then rack from that to my carboy for fermenting.

I always use irish moss in my lagers, but it's totally not necessary.

Thanks to all for the valuable suggestions and excellent references! After bottling another batch of robust porter last night, I am already beginnning the process of cleaning and sterilizing everything for this week's new experiment. I am really looking forward to this expansion of my pursuits and experience.

Just did my first AG and my first 2 lagers in one shot (another extract batch to go with the AG bathc). They really want to fight you on the temp. I have my JC turned down the 45° at the moment and the fermenters are holding 51° pretty steady. :)

That's the only thing I can offer experience-wise from lagers. Keep them in a temp colder than ferm temp at first (well, just like an ale, I reckon).

My plan is to rack after the diacetyl rest before lagering.

Back