American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this the past Saturday and I can't hardly wait till it's drinkin' ready.

I don't have my notes with me now but as I recall I might have made a mistake at the LHBS when I was measuring out the malt bill.

I think I measured out all the non-base malt equally rather than the 7.8/3.5% ratio which may explain why my OG was 1.071!!

For 2.5 gal full volume BIAB mash batch I think I used:
5.53 lb Maris Otter (LHBS was out of 2-row, hilarious!)
0.53 lb Munich 10L
0.53 lb Carapils (LHBS doesn't carry Carafoam)
0.53 lb Caramel 60L
0.53 lb Munich 20L (LHBS doesn't carry Melanoiden Malt)

Gonna end up with a 15.0 SRM IPA hahah. SHOULD BE INTERESTING! :mug:

Also, how long is everyone dry hopping this guy these days? Less than 5 days? 5 days? 7 days?

Final volume was 3 gallons. I wasn't losing enough water so decided to go for a 90 min boil. My gravity after mashing was 1.040.

Another question. I took several readings and one of my readings had hop gunk at the bottom and read 1.057. I should be trying to get clear samples right?

Sediment at the bottom of the sample shouldn't affect your reading with a hydrometer. Actually it probably is an indication that your sample was well mixed and therefore, more accurate.

I stopped at 3F's on our last road trip. "NO Zombie Dust" the sign read. I'm gonna brew this soon because I just cant seem to get my hands on the real thing.

Sediment at the bottom of the sample shouldn't affect your reading with a hydrometer. Actually it probably is an indication that your sample was well mixed and therefore, more accurate.

I stopped at 3F's on our last road trip. "NO Zombie Dust" the sign read. I'm gonna brew this soon because I just cant seem to get my hands on the real thing.

Thats to go its always on tap there

I have nothing to add this thread other than to say that I just got an alert that somebody posted to the thread and I'm currently brewing a batch! How crazy is that? :mug:

I didn't go in. I was pissed. I suppose I missed my chance. They seemed to be building a hella big addition.
its very hard to catch in bottles. they release about once a week and a line quickly develops. Ya they are, I was there when all their new fermentors and mash tuns were delivered.

Also, how long is everyone dry hopping this guy these days? Less than 5 days? 5 days? 7 days?

Bueller?

I drop hop in the fermenter for 5 days then put a charge in the keg and leave it there until the keg kicks, which isn't long...:D

Ah man, that sounds great, one day I'll move on to kegging. For now it's bottles so I'll plan to do a 5 day dry hop then move to bottling bucket. Considering adding a bit of Amarillo in there as well, the recipe on Brew Toad claims that's also in 3F's dry hop.

Phishie you certainly can add Amarillo. However I would add at least 2:1 Amarillo to citra. Citra is so much more powerful than amarillo. I actually just did a batch with equal parts citra and simcoe and can barely taste the simcoe.

Phishie you certainly can add Amarillo. However I would add at least 2:1 Amarillo to citra. Citra is so much more powerful than amarillo. I actually just did a batch with equal parts citra and simcoe and can barely taste the simcoe.

Ah interesting, thanks for the advice.

I'm wondering what would be best considering mine is likely to have a much maltier backbone (see my post a few posts ago). Dry hop more aggressively? Do 2:1 Amarillo:Citra also?

Ah interesting, thanks for the advice.

I'm wondering what would be best considering mine is likely to have a much maltier backbone (see my post a few posts ago). Dry hop more aggressively? Do 2:1 Amarillo:Citra also?

I'm gonna go the opposite direction here. In my experience, be sparing with Amarillo. It can get diesely real quick. Vinnie from Russian River noted this as well in an interview.

Fyi did this with citra, moteuka, and mosiac. Felt the aroma was all citra but that the moteuka came through as it hung around in the keg. It kind of got spicy over time. I was considering falconers flight and lemon drop in the future.

Mines been in the fermenter for 7 days. After learning that dryhopping with pellets really only needs a day can I dry hop for a day then bottle?

A day only if you are constantly agitating them with co2, which you probably are not set up for. Dry hop 4-5 days then bottle. I've found I don't notice any additional aroma after 4 days or so.

Used recipie on page 1 as baseline.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale S04
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: ???
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (10 of Days @ 65F)
Added Dry hops to primary on Day 10

6 lb 2 Row
6 lb Pilsner (Ger)
1.13 lb Munich - 10L
0.50 lb Caramalt
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal - 60L
0.50 lb CaraPils

Mash Temp: 152 F for 60 mins
(I overcompensated Citric Acid add; Mash PH was 4.7)
Mash out with 170F
I slow drain the wort, takes me about 40 mins to collect what I need to boil
Keep grain bed covered with 170F sparge water until I have 5 gals, then cut off sparge

0.75 oz Citra (60 Min)
1.25 oz Citra (15 min)
1/2t Isish Moss (15 min)
5t Yeast nutrient (15 min)
1.25 oz Citra (10 min)
1.25 oz Citra (5 min)
0.75 oz Citra (1 min)
1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin (1 Min)

Cooled to 65F

Post boil gave me just over 4 Gals
I added 3 quarts of topoff water

OG: 1.060

Oxigenated the wort,2 Micron stone for 90 seconds
Safale US05 - reconstituted @100F for 20 mins
Cooled to room temp & pitched

Day 10
1.50 oz Citra (Dry Hop 4 Days)
1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin (Dry Hop 4 Days)

Day 12 chilled to 55F

Day 14 chilled to 38 in the AM; kegged this evening
Came out pretty clear..

FG: 1.011

~6.4% ABV

Citrus aroma is there, not a bomb, you can also detect the Nelson gooseberry.
Citrus dominates palate hints of Sauvignon Blanc
Bitterness is there; its not overpowering, just there
Finishes a bit dry & clean..
Can't wait till it gets carbed up.

Zombie.jpg

A day only if you are constantly agitating them with co2, which you probably are not set up for. Dry hop 4-5 days then bottle. I've found I don't notice any additional aroma after 4 days or so.

I was planning on doing two dry hops of 4-5 days each, just following the recipe from scottland. I assumed there was an advantage to doing two courses rather than one, but if there's not a noticeable difference I'd rather just do one dry hop and bottle sooner.

I brewed a version. I used MO instead of pale, split the hops into half citra, half amarillio. Tasted amazing going into the keg yesterday. On dry hops now, will report back once carved and on tap.

Just transfered mine to secondary. OG was 1.057 and FG 1.013. The sample was incredible. the body was rich and hop character was intense before dry hopping which leaves my expectations high! :D

I didn't get any tropical fruit notes though, tons of citrus.

*sorry for sideways pictures...

Zombie Dust dry hop 2.jpg

Zombie Dust Dry Hop 1.jpg

Just dry hopped my split batches. I had some extra Citra, so I upped the hops addition by an ounce a piece. One batch got Citra/Simcoe and the other got Mosaic/Simcoe/Citra. The samples tasted amazing. Very citrusy with a smooth bitterness. ABV is coming in around 6.75%. So far, I prefer the batch with 1968 over WLP002, but the difference was pretty negligible.

So I opened a bottle after 6 days... And it had tons of carbonation... Am I in trouble or just really lucky? It doesn't taste infected... Tastes pretty good and just a hint of sweetness. The bottles are sitting at around 73/75 degrees in my closet. Bottled with dextrose and calculated based on batch size and temperature...

Fermented with s-04 and ended dryhopping with a day of crash cooling. I covered the bung hole with plastic wrap and rubber bands so I wouldn't get sick back

After reading another thread I learned, from trying two different bottles, that because my beer and been cold crashed the warm sugar water didn't mix well. The first bottle I opened was the last one I filled. I opened a random one and it was more what I would expect a 6 day old bottle to be at. I'm hoping my batch will be ok. Will post back

After reading another thread I learned, from trying two different bottles, that because my beer and been cold crashed the warm sugar water didn't mix well. The first bottle I opened was the last one I filled. I opened a random one and it was more what I would expect a 6 day old bottle to be at. I'm hoping my batch will be ok. Will post back

Interesting. I bottled mine last night after cold crashing so the beer was still chilly when I racked it on top of the warm sugar water. I'm pretty sure I did that for my last beer and it turned out okay. I guess I'll have to check one of the beers early. :rockin: :ban: :cross:

A thought for next time: whenever I bottled with priming sugar I use a big stirring spoon to gently swirl the beer for 15 seconds or so. I have never had oxidation problems and this ensures an even dissolving of the sugar.

A thought for next time: whenever I bottled with priming sugar I use a big stirring spoon to gently swirl the beer for 15 seconds or so. I have never had oxidation problems and this ensures an even dissolving of the sugar.

That's what my instinct would have had me do, however after reading other threads I was assured that racking on to the sugar solution would mix enough.

Needless to say next time I will definitely give a gentle stir.

What I do is put the priming solution in first and then rack the beer such that the outflow is perpendicular to the side of the bucket creating a whirlpool as I rack. The beer in the bottling bucket swirls the whole time I fill it so I think [hope] it's mixed fairly well.

What I do is put the priming solution in first and then rack the beer such that the outflow is perpendicular to the side of the bucket creating a whirlpool as I rack. The beer in the bottling bucket swirls the whole time I fill it so I think [hope] it's mixed fairly well.

That is how I do it and never had uneven carbonation. I learned real quick not to leave the boxes I store bottles in near a heat source (or direct sun light), the bottles on the other side of the box wall carbed faster than the rest.

That's when they are best! I still have a few bottles left from 4-5 months ago, and they are nowhere near as good as when they were fresh.

Actually it has begun to develop a dirty dishwater flavor... After doing some research I'm wondering if my yeast have become strained and aren't able to finish chewing up the off flavors

I'm not sure what I did differently, but this is the cloudiest beer I've made. Hopefully, some cold conditioning and time will help. Should be carbed up this weekend, so we'll see.

It's bottle conditioned, but the co2 tastes like freezer air. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

I've got 10 gallons fermenting now (original recipe). I can smell the Citra goodness already! Cant wait to have this in the keezer again!

Wierd, wonder if the hops were not completely sealed and the carbonation is bringing it out.

They were bulk hope from the LHBS. They keep them in the fridge and have a vacuum seal system, however I suspect that's why... The boiled hops tasted and smelled amazing, but after dry hopping it was wierd.

Latest posts

Back