will these work in the uk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I just ordered that element in myself!

I couldn't see why not, if you have two hot wires that come from your 240v plug then you're good to go. If you have one hot that carries ALL the load and then a neutral or something, that might change things, maybe?

Hey I just ordered that element in myself!

I couldn't see why not, if you have two hot wires that come from your 240v plug then you're good to go. If you have one hot that carries ALL the load and then a neutral or something, that might change things, maybe?

European 240V service is not like american 240V service. Ours is made of two 120V hot lines. Theirs is made up of one 240V hot line and a neutral.

However, the element will work fine. It doesn't know or care about the specifics of the power source. If you run 240V through it, it'll get hot.

Thanks for the help i understand now, that explains your wiring diagrams with two hot wires, now i know

Walker said:
European 240V service is not like american 240V service. Ours is made of two 120V hot lines. Theirs is made up of one 240V hot line and a neutral.

However, the element will work fine. It doesn't know or care about the specifics of the power source. If you run 240V through it, it'll get hot.

And electrically speaking both wires carry the same load. The voltage setup is slightly different with reference to ground. But in terms of current both wires carry the same current just in opposing directions.

Back