American Wheat - Hefeweizen help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryaned82

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew an American Wheat slash "American Hefeweizen". My parents are coming down to hang with my family and they both like the Bert Grant style beers, Pyramid, Widmer, ect that come from the Pacific Northwest. Any hoots, this is what I got so far to get "in the neighborhood" as I'm NOT looking to clone anyone of the above beers directly. I do want to aim for a little haziness to it and yes I regret to say I will probably be putting some lemons in the pitchers I pour. Its how they roll!

Here's my vision so far:

5# WHEAT DME
1# Light DME (for coloring)
1# Honey malt grains
1/2# Cara-vienna
1/2# Munich

**undecided on hops** help with this please
maybe 1oz Hallertau and 1oz Saaz?

Yeast I am thinking about going with Nottingham dry as I used it for some Apricot Ale I made one time and it worked out like a champ in the fermenter. I'm open to any and all suggestions/help though. As far as the honey malt goes I've never used it but I have used a pound of honey the last five minutes or after boil has just completed before. Which option is better or should I throw out the honey idea altogether?

Honey malt adds a strong sweetness (quite the opposit of actual honey which dries the beer out). Personally I would back it down to 1/2 lb or less (the caravienna will add some sweetness as well). Munich malt is really a base malt, ½ lb won’t add much flavor and it really should be mashed to convert its starches to sugars. Hops sound fine, most versions keep the IBUs around 20.

There is nothing wrong with a really simple recipe for a beer like this, when I did an extract hefeweizen I went with wheat extract and a single hop addition.

Good luck!

Okay thanks, ya maybe I should scrap the honey malt altogether then. I guess I would prefer a little more of a citrus flavor anyhow.The PNW varieties don't really have that sweetness to them but rather every brew pub seems to just dump a bowl full of lemon wedges in each pitcher they serve. Should I up the Munich to 1# for the mash then and or up the Caravienna to a whole pound as well in place of the honey malt?

I think 1-1.5 lbs of Munich would make a subtle bready addition. No need to go with more cara-malt in my opinion, keep it dry. You could certainly add ~1 oz of the American hop of your choice near the end of the boil for more citrus flavor.

Latest posts

Back