California common fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

displacedyoop

Reaction score
I don't think overfermentation is actually possible. Well ok heres my problem. My final gravity calculation and recipe for my california common says it is supposed to finish at 1.024. What does it mean if I am down to 1.014... does this matter should I do a diacetyl rest?? Should I begin lagering.. should i dump it down the drain(haha jk... wait... thats not funny.)

California commons should finish between 1.010 and 1.015. What was your OG?

It is at 1.014, I'm wondering if I should raise temps lil or go straight to lagering temps

That's your FG, not your OG. OG=Original Gravity, or your starting gravity.

Don't think you need to worry. That looks fine. If you made an Imperial Steam Beer it might be a bit dry otherwise it'll be fine.

Sorry OG for this beer was 1.065. I decided to do the rest it will be around 65'. F. The I am going to put it in my spare fridge. What's the lowest temperature I can lager at? With this yeast. Maybe the title of this thread can change to "California Lagering".

You are fine, if it finished at 1.024 it would probably be cloying. I'm sure someone will do the math and tell you the freezing point for you...in the meantime lager it at 30 and all will be good.

I think anything pass 33-32 degrees will freeze your lager.

I think anything pass 33-32 degrees will freeze your lager.

You will be good down to around 28 degrees actually...I just don't like doing math that deals with moles, even moles of alcohol so I won't try calculating the freezing point. However, you will be fine at 30 degrees and have some nice clean beer for it.

No, beer freezes at 32F, unless it is constantly mixed. The alcohol is displaced in the process.

well it is now lagering at around 36ish in the keggerator/lagerator. I just wasn't sure if it was the right idea to go from 58 to 36 but I guess i will soon find out...soon in 4 weeks :(

Latest posts

Back