Home made primary fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
Can you get a food grade bucket from the store and just drill a hole in the top for an airlock? Also I know it says to to panic if you see no fermentation after 48 hours, but I didn't use liquid yeast and its been two and half days and I don't see anything going on I broke my hydrometer so I can't take a read until I get a new one hopefully soon

You keep asking your same question about your fermentation and your airlock everyday, and the answer is still the same...You really need to relax about this beer. Or get a hydrometer to confirm what's going on. You are giving yourself a heart attack stressing about it. This is what the fourth thread about it??? And it hasn't been 72 hours yet?

Just relax.......:D

And yes you can, and many of us do get food grade buckets and pop a hole, and get a rubber grommet for an airlock. People use all manner of stuff for fermenters.

Food grade buckets are usually 5 gallons and that is too small to ferment 5 gallons of beer. You need extra space to allow for krausen.

Does it look like anything happened inside the fermenter. Take a peek. I've had some beers ferment out completely in less that 48 hours. Rare...but it happens. If the inside of your fermenter looks like there was a monkey pooh throwing contest...you're golden.

I know I'm a newbie who gets to nervous, but I'm sure you look deep into your blury past you can remember your first brew and you probably had similar excitement and fear.

I know I'm a newbie who gets to nervous, but I'm sure you look deep into your blury past you can remember your first brew and you probably had similar excitement and fear.

Not really...I had read enough from folks on here and other places telling the other newbies not to worry, and everything would be fine, that since I saw 50 typical threads saying the samething for the same reasons, I figured my beer was NO different than there's.....That's kinda why I came here even before I ever participated I lurked, and read, and learned.

But that's how I am wired, I learn things and that calms me down. I look at other folks issues, realizes they are the same as mine, and relax. Then I try to help other people.

The problem is, you can cause more damage now by messing with the beer checking it than you can by just trusting the process.

There is a certain level of faith you have to have.

Yeasts just don't "NOT WORK" these days. That's an old idea from 30 years ago, not the reality these days. Given enough time the yeast does what it needs to do.

I am going to give you my standard rant about how, for the most part, the idea of "bad yeast" is really bogus....

Of god knows how many batches of beer I have made....I have never had fermentation not start, or a beer not turn out ok, and I have never ever ever had to add more yeast to a beer.

Except for infecting a starter due to poor sanitization, it really really is hard for yeast NOT to do what they do naturally.

That's how we can make a huge starter from the dregs of a bottle of beer...we let the viable (living) cells reproduce, and we feed them incrementally, and they continue to reproduce.

Seriously most LHBS know enough about what they are doing in terms of proper yeast storage, same with suppliers, it doesn't take a genius these days to know how to stick liquid (and dry yeasts usually) in a fridge, and ship in bulk in a styrofoam cooler.

We're talking billion dollar corporations (the yeast labs, and that's what they are LABS) and they aren't going to risk their rep by letting their suppliers and stores that carry their stuff , handle it improperly.

Besides...Yeast IS hardier than most newish brewers wanna give them props for...I mean You can't say that THIS YEAST was stored "properly" and yet, they managed to make a batch of beer with it.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-08/ff_primordial_yeast

If we can make beer with that....then our yeast is going to work as well. :D

well I understand people that have your personality but I am the opposite I live in Utah about an hour from one of two home brew stores in the state I didn't even know if was legal here. I bought and kit and did a trial by fire and sorry if I'm a pain in the ass but I thought this website was a good place for people who had questions

well I understand people that have your personality but I am the opposite I live in Utah about an hour from one of two home brew stores in the state I didn't even know if was legal here. I bought and kit and did a trial by fire and sorry if I'm a pain in the ass but I thought this website was a good place for people who had questions

dont take offense to what anyone says here. we are all here to help you. My recommendation to someone who has doubts and asks the same question in a different way is focus on RDWHAHB.

Honestly, this phrase embodies the homebrewer spirit.
Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew!

And lurk moar. You really should have determined if it was legal where you live first. You dont want to end up like this guy...

it's the perfect place for people who have questions. just some people have been here for so long they go crazy seeing the same topics over and over. but all the new brewers worry about the same thing over and over. i did, and im sure 90% of the guys who started brewing and joined this site at the same time had a "help my beer is ruined" thread.

but you will learn just like every one else to relax, it will take a batch or 2 but you will. also to save your self from people who hate repeated topics, just make sure you google search every version of your question before asking. it has saved my ass probably 2-3 times per batch.

i am a very active user, you cant tell by my low number of posts. but i literally come on here at least twice a day and lurk around for a half hour or so. i've been doing that for so long that i went from not knowing that hops dont make alcohol to knowing..... a lot more. but my point is, lurk, lurk and lurk some more. you will eventually find what you are looking for, and if you don't, open a thread.

Thanks I appreciate it. Hopefully home brewing will teach me some patience :). It is fun and nerve racking. I just want to start another batch because I already realize I jumped in and there might have been some mistakes I made but I'll try and be patient before I go buy another primary and start a new brew.

Thanks I appreciate it. Hopefully home brewing will teach me some patience :). It is fun and nerve racking. I just want to start another batch because I already realize I jumped in and there might have been some mistakes I made but I'll try and be patient before I go buy another primary and start a new brew.

there's patience and then there's Patience.

Homebrewing takes a bit of the ordinary kind. Getting a new fermentor and starting a new batch makes sense to me since it gives you something to do while you wait for batch #1. It also lets you sharpen your skills faster. I'd do it myself if I had the time and money.

You don't have to have Patience for homebrewing. Waiting for the first batch to be completely done before you start a new one might just call for it.

Revvy says it best:"The problem is, you can cause more damage now by messing with the beer checking it than you can by just trusting the process.

There is a certain level of faith you have to have
."

Proper sanitation, proper temperature range, good measurements and a little time is all you need to make beer!

Of course the proper ingredients, decent equipment, and most important, lots of reading here and wherever you can find info helps too!!

Keep on asking questions but as all have said already, search around this forum from time to time.

Keep on brewing!!

You're not a pita, I'm trying to give you, like I do everyone, all the information to re-assure you that everything is going to be okay. That's why I have a ton of information threads to show new brewers how hardy their beers really are. And how hard it is to screw this up..

Like this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And this,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

The fact that we answer the same questions everyday, and the fact that 99.95% of the threads just like yours turn out perfectly fine, we HOPE would be reassurance for you. Your beer is not terminally unique, your situation is not unique, your NERVES are not unique.....It's the same stuff as everyone else......except that they have been proven ok.

So, why would YOURS be any different????? That's all we're saying.

:mug:

I just want to start another batch because I already realize I jumped in and there might have been some mistakes I made but I'll try and be patient before I go buy another primary and start a new brew.

That's all the MORE reason to get a second bucket and start another batch, it will take your mind of this one.

I know, I have 9 fermenters.....

Does your bucket have a gasket? If not, CO2 may be escaping through the seal around the lid instead of your air lock. Take a gravity reading to confirm.

And don't take offense to the good Rev. When I first started on here, I thought he was an EAC (look that one up because I could be shot if I told you:D). But he really does have solid advice and he's not trying to be a d**k; he really is trying to help you.

When I first started on here, I thought he was an EAC

Me?!?!?! I'm about the furthest thing from an ******* **** **** on here. That's the one thing I never would have expected to be called. Those folks are about as far away from rdwhahb as anything....ANd they are usually NOT the ones answering the same questions 200 times a day.

;)

EAC= East African Community? that's what came up on google lol. oh ben, if your airlock doesn't bubble in the next 12 hours your house will explode, please be careful!

so I have to laugh at myself and tell everyone what happened. I went to the store to get another brew so I could take my mind of when my first was going to start. They were giving instructions and I realized my first batch didn't start because I boiled the yeast (I know I am an idiot) so they think I can still save it by re-pitching the yeast.

This is one BORING hobby if all you do is sit around and wait for brew to be ready since it can take at least a couple weeks and should be even longer.

And TRUST me after you spend a month and a half crafting a keg of brew it's pretty damm depressing to see it pretty much dissapear during one football game when your friends come over and realize you ain't got no more ready :(

The antidote?

For me I put something in a fermenter every week, sometimes two somethings. I might not be able to afford a batch of beer but it's 15 bux to make a batch of Apfelwein ;) Gives me something to do and hopefully EVENTUALLY I will build up enough inventory so that I will NEVER run out ;)

Be patient or be productive :)

Be patient or be productive :)

That is fantastic advice. I plan on brewing every other weekend until all my empty bottles are filled and my fermenters as well. Might take a while seeing as how I have to split each batch 2 ways and my wife drinks as much beer as I do.

Hey good news Ben! Since you boiled your yeast, you will have lots of nutrient for your replacement yeast to enjoy. :D
p.s. your beer will be fine.

both my batches are fermenting now :). I know I know have more patience but its exciting.

The only solution is to get 8 or 9 fermenters that keep you busy in various stages. (Lots of brewers have their fermenters in the bedroom. They say it's because of space but I don't believe it.) :D

Lots of brewers have their fermenters in the bedroom. They say it's because of space but I don't believe it.

I've got mine in the master bedroom bathroom. The sweet burbling puts me to sleep.

Back