Gravity reading on the fly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mucci2k

Reaction score
Anyone ever see something like this, a guy is selling his setup on CL and this was one of the pictures. It confused me at first then I realized it looks like he can see his gravity during transfer from cooler to boil kettle to know when to stop sparging or during boil kettle to fermenter.

Hydro sample.jpg

Hell with the price of copper these days it'd be about as much to build a new one as just buying a refractometer.

I think it's a DIY candelabra that serves double duty as a protective sheath for the most fragile of homebrew tools.

Distillers commonly use something like this with a proofing hydrometer to know what part of the product to throw out and what part to keep.

it is a parrots beak.

Distillate is delivered from the product condenser to the bottom of the measuring tube of a distiller's parrot by gravity and every drop that arrives in the bottom of the tube displaces an equal amount at the top of the tube which then drips to your collection vessel.

The ABV of distillate in the tube, as read from the alcometer, is an average running figure but given the small amount of distillate in the tube this is sufficient for stripping run purposes. ;)

You should also keep in mind that a distiller's parrot is only of use where you're doing stripping runs in a Pot Still - it serves no other useful purpose as using it anywhere else will only lead to smearing in your spirits.

parrot 001.jpg

icon (1).gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back