American Imperial Stout Roast Bomb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
First, I wanted to make a chocolate stout...then a foreign extra stout...now I'm thinking Imperial Stout!

My idea isn't to make a true "to style" Russian imperial stout because I'm not as keen on an english yeast flavor profile. Also I'm going a little nuttso with the roasted grains. Would love to hear if I'm way off base or just treading the line.

4-gallon batch partial mash- 90 minute boil - predicted og/fg 1.095/1.025 - IBU ~95

Fermentables

6 lbs. extra light dme
2 lbs. roasted barley
1 lb. chocolate malt
2 lbs. 2-row
1.5 lbs. flaked oats
.5 lbs. crystal 80
.5 lbs. crystal 120
1/3 lb. black patent

Hops

2.5 oz. Norther Brewer @ FWH
1 oz. Norther Brewer @ 30

Yeast

S-05

Ferment primary - 4 weeks @ ~62 degrees
Ferment secondary - 6-8 weeks @ ~ 68 degrees

Thoughts welcome...especially with the fermentation temps/schedule. I haven't ever used Norther Brewer hops or black patent malt, so any experience with those two would help me make this recipe as good as it can be.

I'm not much of a reviewer but when I make a recipe I try to make it as nation specific as I can. So
For British ales I use Maris Otter as my base malt along w/a British yeast and hops.

I'd call yours and American Imperial Stout. LOL Good Luck.

That for sure will be a roast bomb, might even enter the arena as a burnt bomb. That's allot of roasted but give'er a try if you wish, that's half the fun.
My fave stout recipe is to me a very roasty one and it goes 11% roasted

Haha! This one is 19% roasted malt. I was hoping the hops/crystal malt would help distract the pallet from some of the darkness :)

I find Notty works better with higher OGs. 05 has done great for me in the past but Notty will finish a bit lower. I like sweeter finishes in beer and 1.025 is still a tad high for me.

Might has well make it one hop addition and have nothing to worry about during the boil

Back