added some rum...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delchronic

Reaction score
Alight, so the other day some buddies and I thought it would be a great idea to get completely tanked off of rum and brew up this batch of Hazelnut brown rogue ale. Apparently.. (i dont really remember doing this) we poured a bunch of spiced rum into the boiling wort. Now I expect to take some **** for this, even being a new brewer I would assume its not the greatest idea to pour ****ty rum all in my what was meant to be.. pretty decent beer. Anyone know what I've done here, if anything?

Having not poured spirits into the boil, I can't really say what the end result will be in the flavor profile but you do know that you boiled off all the alcohol in the rum, right?

When I use spirits like rum (for a flavor contribution not ABV), I add it to the bottling bucket.

Having not poured spirits into the boil, I can't really say what the end result will be in the flavor profile but you do know that you boiled off all the alcohol in the rum, right?

When I use spirits like rum (for a flavor contribution not ABV), I add it to the bottling bucket.

What kinds of rum have you used? I want to try some in my next beer but am having trouble finding any guidance.

What kinds of rum have you used? I want to try some in my next beer but am having trouble finding any guidance.

I've dosed beers with bourbon in the secondary. I've not used rum and the emphasis on my previous statement should be on the "like" ;)

What kinda info are you looking for?

If you added it early to the boil most of the alcohol and flavor will have been destroyed, a tiny percentage of alcohol will remain .5% or so as you really have to boil a solution down a lot to boil off all of it. Something about the physics of distribution. Most the nuance flavors will have been destroyed.

If it was late in the boil you are in for and "experimental" brew, but I don't think it will end up too bad. It might be odd, but the flavor should be somewhat complimentary. I crunched the numbers, even if you added a whole handle (half gallon) of 80 proof alcohol it still is only 3.5% to a 5 gallon batch.

I've thought about doing that, but so far have'nt tried it. I make alot of stouts. Whiskey stout sounds kind of interesting. How much (spirits) do you usually put into a batch?

I've thought about doing that, but so far have'nt tried it. I make alot of stouts. Whiskey stout sounds kind of interesting. How much (spirits) do you usually put into a batch?

Depends, I dose it to a point just above where I want in the flavor before bottling. That when when everything mellows and ages, it's right where you want it. The base beer, alcohol used and what I am looking for that can vary widely. My last batch like this used Buillet bourbon, which has a fairly strong and spicy flavor...I only wanted a touch of bourbon in the flavor profile so it was only about 11 ounces in that batch. You can dose a sample to flavor then apply that portion to the whole volume or work with the entire batch, gently mixing it through until you reach the desired flavor.

You can also soak any wood chips/cubes in your alcohol then incorporate that solution and the wood for flavor too.

I've dosed beers with bourbon in the secondary. I've not used rum and the emphasis on my previous statement should be on the "like" ;)

What kinda info are you looking for?

Just trying to find out how rum works in a beer (I'm working on a porter) and what type to add, light or dark and how much. I read another thread where Malibu was used, but I for sure don't want to use Malibu. I want to get coconut flavor in via fresh toasted coconut, not extract in a rum.

Just trying to find out how rum works in a beer (I'm working on a porter) and what type to add, light or dark and how much. I read another thread where Malibu was used, but I for sure don't want to use Malibu. I want to get coconut flavor in via fresh toasted coconut, not extract in a rum.

it really comes down to flavors that you find compliment each other and what you think tastes good. You can add some very small quantities of the rums you think will work to a glass of porter and see what floats your boat.

it really comes down to flavors that you find compliment each other and what you think tastes good. You can add some very small quantities of the rums you think will work to a glass of porter and see what floats your boat.

Great idea...just put it in and see how it tastes! DUH, I feel stupid. I have three test glasses of coconut porter sitting in the fridge chillin right now with three different types of rum in them. Thanks!

So far the dark rum is the winner.

Back