Does stuck fermentation reset time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redawg77

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a True Brew unhopped IPA extract kit. Fermentation stuck at 1.020 from day 3 through day 10, so I gave it a swirl on day 10. Now it is day 14 (since beginning of primary). I was planning on letting the brew sit in the primary bucket for a full 3 weeks from start to finish, then racking and bottling.

Now, since my batch was essentially inactive for about a week of this time while it was stuck, do I need to bump it another week in order to realize the benefits of letting it settle? I am assuming this is a yes since the purpose of secondary is to let the byproducts of fermentation settle out - and since my fermentation cranked back up at the time I would normally have been sitting inactive for about a week, I'll need to wait a little longer.

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on if the fermentation kicks off again or not. If it does, then I would make whatever adjustments I needed to once active fermentation finishes. Leaving the beer in primary for two weeks following active fermentation finishes (as david_42 mentioned) is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back