New from Minnesota.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodhart

Reaction score
Hi I'm Mike, total brewing n00b here. Joined because I figured I drink enough beers that I want to start trying my hand at brewing. I'd like to start with something simple and cheap (best bang for my buck if you will) and see how I like it. If this ends up being something I enjoy I will probably take it more seriously, for now though it is just for fun and to try a variety of tasty home brews!

What is the 'best' starter kit someone like me could get and still stay on a pretty cheap budget? I was looking at the obvious "Mr. Beer" kits, and some friends of mine directed me towards Midwest Supplies/ as that is the route they took.

:mug:

Welcome aboard. I miss the land of 10k lakes. The home of the only big brewery light beer that I like that somehow never got distributed nationally. Michelob Golden Draft and Michelob Golden Light. Not to be confused with Michelob Light for you drinkers that have never seen a Mic Golden.

Thanks for the advice!

My only question about that is what would the difference in yeasts be? there are a few different options in there.

thanks for all the friendly responses, I'm liking this place already. There is a lot of reading/learning to do with this hobby!

Sorry should have added something helpful ;) I bought my first 2 kits from Nitro Brewery in St Cloud and equipment etc from Bakers hobby, both great to get started. I made my first drive yesterday to Minneapolis to go to Northern Brewer and will likely go back to check out Midwest as well

Welcome! Addictive hobby. I would go for a kit from either Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies to start off. Don't get a high gravity one to start, maybe 1.040 - 1.055. Rehydrating dry yeast should work just fine for a first try.

I also recommend picking up Palmer's How to Brew book, 3rd ed. I still reference it one year later even though I've read it cover to cover. Or if you're not sure you're serious you can read the semi-outdated version 1 online for free. Google it.

Back