Blichman Autosparge and RIMS circulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I currently recirculate (during the mash) and flysparge using the same in-let in my MLT but Ive been having issues with the float switch which controls my pump. Im considering getting the Blichman Autosparge but I was wondering : do you recirc wort (while mashing/RIMS) through the autosparge or do you use a separate inlet for sparge water and wort ?

I currently recirculate (during the mash) and flysparge using the same in-let in my MLT but Ive been having issues with the float switch which controls my pump. Im considering getting the Blichman Autosparge but I was wondering : do you recirc wort (while mashing/RIMS) through the autosparge or do you use a separate inlet for sparge water and wort ?

IMO, it's likely that the autosparge will plug up quickly if you circulate wort through it. The wort will usually contain some grain particulates that won't easily pass through the small float valve orifice. I don't use the autosparge device, so I am speculating based on how I think they are constructed. I don't see a big advantage using an autosparge while doing the circulation. So long as you do not have a stuck or partially stuck sparge, the flow into the MT from the pump should match what you draw from the bottom. Should the grain bed compact and inhibit the pumping rate, typically the pump will cavitate, lose prime and stop pumping anyway. I would just take the autosparge out of the loop when circulating and hook it back up for lautering.

On the Blichmann video, he says it can be used with HERMS and RIMS systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say if John B. says it will work, then it will. I don't think he would intentionally misrepresent any of his products.

Interesting, thanks for the replies. I'd hate to get an expensive peice of kit blocked up with grain.
Has anyone here circulated wort through the Blichmann ?

I have recirculated the RIMS output through my Autosparge with no problems. I have had no problems with it getting plugged with grain particles.

I have quit using it because I have switched from an HLT to using the RIMS to heat sparge water directly from the water main. This results in my water system's pressure on the Autosparge when it closes. It can't take the pressure and opens against the float's force. That's the only problem I see with it, but it isn't advertised to be able to close against 30-40 PSI water system. It works great against a gravity system though.

Back