Can I mix Pale Ale malt with American 2-row in this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to make an ale version of Sierra Nevada's Summerfest Lager. The problem is I don't have enough Pale Ale malt to make a full 10 gallons. I would like to know if I could successfully mix pale ale malt with american 2-row in this recipe below. I have searched online that these can be substiuted for each other but I could not find a definitive answer as to if theyy could be mixed together in the same recipe. Tomorrow is the only brew day possible for the next month and I don't have access to an more pale ale malt until I order more later in the summer. (No LHBS anywhere near me.)

I would like to substiture 9 lbs pale ale malt with 9 lbs of american 2 row.

10 Gallon Size Batch
18 lbs Pale Ale Malt
1.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Cara-Pils
1.0 oz Pearl at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 5 min.
US-05 yeast

Any other comments on this proposed recipe would

This was an extract 5 gallon recipe I found online. It is for a lager version of this beer. I don't have the ability to do lagers yet so I thought I would try using US-05 yeast and ferment in the lower 60's F.

Do you think it might be better to just go with a full 18 lbs of american 2-row instead of mixing?

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/archive/index.php/t-3804.html

5.75# Alexander Lager LME
.5# Carpils/Dextrin Malt
.5# Munich Malt
.5 oz Perle@60
.5 oz Saaz@60
1 oz Saaz@5
Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast

Thanks for the reply.

you might even want to try nottingham. i find that it ferments really clean and has the ability to ferment down to 57 degrees once active fermentation starts

Check the amounts of the hops against the IBU's for that beer. If the recipe listed above was for a partial boil, you could be way off on your hop bill. Plus you increased the Saaz @ 60 min. Typing error?

According to their website, it only has 28 IBU's. I didn't figure out the hop profile, but you seem high.

I'd use as much of the pale malt as you have and the balance 2 row.

Ferment in a swamp cooler in the low 60'S with that yeast and add a D rest @ the end.

Good luck,

Bull

I checked the online recipe again and it comes out to 24 IBU with keeping the Saaz to just 1 oz at 60 min for 10 gallon or 0.5 oz for 5 gallon size. I think I might just make 5 gallons today using Pale Ale malt and see how this recipe turns out since I have not done it before.

Thanks for the feedback everone.

If your making 5 you might as well make 10. Substituting the grains wont be a problem....there isn't much difference between 2-row and pale malt. You probably won't notice the difference. Happy brewing.....it's always extra nice brewing on a long weekend for some reason.

Back