Fermentation finishing up with high krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is a pretty general, and probably common question, but something i did not expect of one of my own batches...

I have a bo pils 17 days into primary fermenation (50F with WLP800) and it's still holding at close-to high krausen. I did a grav check and expected ballpark 1.020+ based on the appearance of the krausen, but i was surprised to find 7.6 Brix (1.011 corrected). This is 80% apparent attenuation by BeerSmith calcs (153F sacc rest).

I do plan on leaving it until the krausen falls, but i'm hoping it doesn't fall too much lower, as the estimated FG is 1.014.

Does anyone have any experience with a high krausen and apparent finished ferment? Or any experience with WLP800, if this appears to be a yeast issue?

Krausen can be stubborn.

It will eventually fall and you'll be left with a smooth liquid surface.

Let it be and allow it to run its course. It's not like it's going to dry out to 1.000 or anything. :D

I do plan on lagering, after primary fermentation though. Typically, i've never had initial ferment go past 10-14 days for a lager strain, then i go right to lagering.

Back