Crazy mead test batches - recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I now have 5 1g jugs available to me so that I can make some of the stranger test batches and not have to worry about 5g of mead that's just too strange to drink. I'm planning on doing 4 batches and leaving the spare container for racking over into.

I'm looking for the top 4 strangest meads that I can make and am looking for ideas. For one, I'm thinking about one of the chocolate meads from the chocolate mead experiment thread here. Another one I'm thinking of making a lambic braggot and souring the crap out of it.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

I would definitely go with the lambic experiment. I had the pleasure of trying Hanssen’s Mead the Gueuze (a 70/30 blend of gueuze and mead) last year and it was great. Also had a blend of New Belgium La Folie and Redstone Blackberry Mead called Black Folie at the Boulder Strong Ale Fest – another very good beverage.

Anyone ever try making a horseradish mead? That seems particularly "strange".

BTW .... my SWMBO *loves* horseradish, so let me know what you find out .... :)

crazy man!!!!! we must have been typing at the same time!!! your post wasnt there when i went to reply!

On a side note...........there is a guy in WI making horse radish vodka and it's very good!

A mead some for of chiles whether it be Jalopenos or Habeneros etc.
I also think a Triple Braggot would be very cool

Maybe carrots with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg? So you get almost a carrot cake idea going on? I could maybe picture that.

Does hot pepper mead come out hot/spicy?

I used to work at a place with a juice bar and loved apple/carrot juice. I was thinking of making a 1 gallon batch of 1/2 apple 1/2 carrot juice. I was going to sterilize my champion juicer and give it a go this fall when fresch cider is available. I was going to make 1 gallon a mead and 1 gallon a hard cider.

Habanero Mead is always a hit. I have made several batches of it!

I just did a 1 gallon batch of a burnt mead and that has me thinking about trying out a Smores Mead (chocolate, toasted honey and cinnamon). I will probably do a 1 gallon batch of each and blend them to the proper flavor.

I am also getting ready to try a Coconut Curry Mead. Still working on the spice profile for that one.

The cure-all recipe looks very interesting. I think I will have to add that to the list!

I've got a blueberry lemon mead going right now- smells yummy. The blueberries were grown just a few miles away by a friend and picked by my son and myself! When it is time to rack I am going to rack over another couple of pounds of the berries but I am going to wait to see if it needs more lemon or not.

I love my Brussels sprouts, but think that they would be yucky in wine, think of the sulfur smell coming off of them!:eek:
If your cooked carrots are yucky, then your not cooking them right!;):D

I like the idea of lemon and mint meads.

What about a wine mead. Either honey and must fermented together or fermented seperate then blended and aged.

Fine, then mix some wort into it too. Unless that is called something that I don't know about too.

oh, im not sure how that would workout! but hey... as long as al is the one trying....

I think DFH has a beer that they did that. They spiced it with saffron too I think. I think it might be their Midas Touch and its really damn good.

lemon meadE?????????ooooo this intrigues me....did you use lemons? or lemon juice?

I made a Lemonade Mead some time back...very nice. (See Recipes on the left)...

I have a Raspberry Lemonade Mead that's needing bottling. It's been ready to bottle about 5 months now. Very nice light raspberry flavor.

I had an extra gallon of a sweet mead where I THINLY sliced 3 oz of ginger and 1 Serrano chile about finger length/thickness. I left it in the secondary for a week and it got some nice heat (chili) and bitterness (ginger) to it. I called it "Snake Bite". A H-U-G-E winner amongst my friends.:rockin:

I made a Lemonade Mead some time back...very nice. (See Recipes on the left)...

I have a Raspberry Lemonade Mead that's needing bottling. It's been ready to bottle about 5 months now. Very nice light raspberry flavor.

I had an extra gallon of a sweet mead where I THINLY sliced 3 oz of ginger and 1 Serrano chile about finger length/thickness. I left it in the secondary for a week and it got some nice heat (chili) and bitterness (ginger) to it. I called it "Snake Bite". A H-U-G-E winner amongst my friends.:rockin:

OH, man that sounds yummy!- If I grated ginger and slipped one of the dried habeneros in to an empty teabag and put in a mead would that work? And maybe just a bit of back sweetening to really pop the flavor? (most of the meads that I have going are really going dry, dry, dry)
I gotta stop reading this thread!:D so many different meads and not enuf carboys!

You know, I was at the store the other day and saw some raspberry/white grape Welch's concentrate and thought "GOOD IDEA FOR MEAD."

I was going to jump directly into 5g of this, but this might be an option for one of the 1g recipes...I'm just hoping to stick to some of the more strange recipes like chocolate/coffee/brussels sprouts/etc :p

You know, I was at the store the other day and saw some raspberry/white grape Welch's concentrate and thought "GOOD IDEA FOR MEAD."

That would turn out great! Just follow Joe's Quick Grape Mead, but use 64oz. white grape & raspberry juice instead of grape juice. JQGM is my favorite pyment so far.

I've got three different batches of wine/mead going with the welches white grape peach and while the mead is HOT the after taste is yummy and peachy! well worth trying. But right now the first batch of WWGP mead tastes like peach vodka and gives ya red face and warm tummy!:D:drunk:

Latest posts

Back