what do you have brewing or fermenting right now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some oak chips soaking in some rum with vanilla to make a vanilla rum porter in about a month...

Nothing too exciting but me and my buddy are 4 days into our first brew. Just a simple Kolsch that we got with the kit! Definitely excited to see how it turns out

I have 10 gallons of my first Albier fermenting in the basement. I plan on lagering one of the carboys for 2 weeks before bottling and the other for 6 weeks. I want to see what effects a longer lager would have on it. I also have a number of beers bottle conditioning. The one I'm looking forward to trying the most next week is my first go around at a hard cider.

I have 6 gallons of milk stout (6%abv) going along with 2.5 gallons of a mango wine (around 17%abv) right now. I will be brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend.

I have a screwy split batch that's nearly ready - two thirds became a dry-hopped Belgian pale, the other third a Belgian strong dark ale. I added dark candi syrup to the latter after primary fermentation had settled down (while the former got a small dose of honey to dry it out). Both all pilsner malt, two different Belgian strong ale yeasts, some Styrian Goldings. No idea how they'll turn out.

I have a Viennafest fermenting right now. It's kinda a cross between a Vienna Lager and Oktoberfest. I left out the carafa special from the Vienna recipe and the base malts are a combination of the two recipes. Basically, I screwed up and went with it.

I have a bourbon barrel with multiple Brett strains and some bacteria continually working on a sour base beer. I'm spinning a starter of Brett C right now and have new vials of Brett B & L waiting for their turn in the vortex to try to get my yeast/bacteria ratio skewed more towards the yeast side.

Made a beer for my girlfriends (heather) birthday made with heather tips instead of hops. Came out great. Very floral and beautiful flavor.

i have a all grain imperial sweet potato stout with nugget and fuggle hops fermenting right now.

OG - 1.089

I did a Saison with lemon, orange, coriander, and cardamom. It came out really good. A complexity of citrus from both the fruit zest and the yeast blended with a mid to back of the palate flavor from the cardamom. I will use cardamom in another citrus brew for sure.

Okay, I'll bite -

- 5 gallons of Pumpkin ale, based loosely around Thunderstruck Pumpkin ale. May or may not add spices.

- 5 gallons of Belgian IPA, based loosely around Stone's 08.08.08, considering adding Brett and Chardonnay soaked oak cubes for a 'Bitter Monk' attempt (just because)

- a 5 gallon breakfast imperial stout that I split into 5 single gallon jugs:

* Cold press coffee (light roast) and vanilla beans
* Caramel and cocao nibs
* Blueberry reduction and molasses
* Pure USP grade caffeine (measured with a precise scale and kept to safe levels)
* Medium toast French oak cubes and Jim Beam white label (soaked for ~ 2 weeks)

- 2 gallons of traditional mead
- 1 gallon of JAOM

Tomorrow I'll be pitching a cider, not sure what it is I'll make, maybe raspberry?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 37.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 at 35
Tasting Notes: citrus, tropical, gooseberry

Brewing Steps: Ahtanum/Amarillo/Nelson Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 6/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal Brewer: Darin Curtis
Boil Size: 14.48 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Final Bottling Volume: 10.25 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 18.25 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.4 %
4 lbs 6.4 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 19.0 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
8.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.4 %
8.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.4 %

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 32.89 qt of water at 163.4 F 153.0 F 60 min

Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.29gal, 7.74gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 14.48 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.045 SG
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 12.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 11.00 gal
Fermentation Ingredients
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

I have my third batch of this cold crashing right now.
Can't keep this stuff around.

Back