Can I use pilsner malt for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I want to brew an IPA shortly after Christmas and I can either get "some" maris otter, or all the pilsner i want...for cheap from a friend. I'm not sure what kind of pils it is but i've read the it usually runs a little low on the diastatic power. Do you see any problems with using this? Is there any special mash procedure that is involved. I do a single infusion mash with a cooler and a protein rest is a little difficult. thanks

no special mash process. some people say to boil it for an extra half hour to release all of the DMS that Pilsner is susceptible to, but I've done a regular boil with no negative consequences. I would recommend using pilsner in your IPA if you like a more crisp, light colored IPA. I've used it (60 percent of grain bill) with great results.

vienna, maris otter, and 2-row....it was kind of a frankenstein brew, but it is my best IPA to date. The recipe is in my drop down recipe thingy, its called "IPA Lite"

Back