Raspberry Hellfire (Recipe Critique)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everfrost

Reaction score
Found this recipe on the net...Looks very intriguing...Comments/thoughts/variations/dos and don'ts...The author does note that an 8G primary is required. I can say that I would use unhopped extract and maybe a couple ounces of Palisides. While I'm an AG brewer now, I think I might stick to extract to make this beast, just for simplicity's sake.

===========================================

Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity:
Finishing Gravity:
Time in Boil: 1 hr.
Primary Fermentation: 3 -4 days
Secondary Fermentation: 1 1/2 weeks
Ingredients:

3 3.3 lb. cans Munton Extract (2 Light Amber 1 Hopped Amber)
6 lbs. Frozen Raspberries
1 Tbsp Irish Moss
1 1/2 Cups light brown sugar
1 Cup Latose sugar
1/2 cup MaltoDextrin
6 Cups corn sugar
1 Tbsp Gypsum
1 package ale yeast
1 package Champaigne yeast
1 pt. pure vanilla extract
1/2 package raspberry flavored gelatin
3/4 cup sugar for priming

Procedure:

Start by bringing 2 gallon of water to a boil. Add the gypsum, stir to dissolve. Slowly add the malt stirring all the time and allowing the wert to heat back up between each addition. Add all the sugars and Dextrin stir until well dissolved. Be very careful of boil over, but bring to a boil and boil for 1 hour. 15 min before flame out add the Irish moss. Place frozen raspberries into bottom of fermenter and pour hot wert over them. Fill to just over the five gallon mark. Cool pitch the ale yeast. Ferment for two to three days. Rack off into secondary fermentor leaving as many berries out as possible. Pitch champagne yeast and finish fermention. Rack into your finishing pale and add dissolved gelatin which has been dissolved in 2 cups boiling water. Cover and let settle for two days. Place dissolved priming sugar into bottom of bucket and when cooled add the vanilla, rack wort into this bucket and bottle from here. Allow to age two or more weeks. At 1 week it is very tart. At 2 weeks it has mellowed beatifully and just keeps on mellowing.

1/2 package of raspberry gelatin?

What is this?

i think it means to use something like raspberry flavored jello.

I have never seen a recipe like this in my life.

theres 9.9 pounds of liquid extract, and 7.5 cups of sugar, and 6 lbs of raspberries.

I don't have beersmith in front of me, whats the OG for this? its got to be up around 1.100 at least.

I have never seen a recipe like this in my life.

Me either and I'm known for sleuthing out the more obscure stuff. Like I said, this isn't mine, so I can't comment on the hows and whys of this. All the information I have is what is posted above. I tried working this into Beersmith, using vague estimates for converting cups to ounces and such...Comes in above 1.100 including the sugars from the fruit. I dunno what extra the gelatin would add, although it seems like not much since it's added late. This is by far one of the weirder recipes I've seen, which I think is why I'm so intrigued.

Me either and I'm known for sleuthing out the more obscure stuff. Like I said, this isn't mine, so I can't comment on the hows and whys of this. All the information I have is what is posted above. I tried working this into Beersmith, using vague estimates for converting cups to ounces and such...Comes in above 1.100 including the sugars from the fruit. I dunno what extra the gelatin would add, although it seems like not much since it's added late. This is by far one of the weirder recipes I've seen, which I think is why I'm so intrigued.

Gelatin is usually added to the secondary as a fining to help clear the beer. However this is the first time i have seen adding flavored gelatin.

If you make this i would be interested to know how it turns out, however with almost 10 lbs of extract, 6 lbs of berries, all that sugar and a pint of vanilla extract i think this would be a costly experiment should it turn out bad.

Back