Can somebody do a pro mash for me??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Meister

Reaction score
A local brewery makes this at christmas time. It's an awesome beer! But it's like $50 a case (ouch). They were so nice to post the ingredients.

http://www.troegs.com/beers_elf.htm

Can somebody get me a recipe for a 5 gal batch? I would like an extract w/ grain recipe and an AG one to if someone would be so kind.

Thank You so much in advance!!

I could work on one, but that site doesn't give very much info. Specifically the yeast. WTF is "spicy yeast"? I'd be tempted to use a belgian strain with that--but I dunno because I've never had the beer.

I'll start working on it for you......

I think there is a recipe in the BYO clone recipe special issue.

Nah, just looked. It is for a Amber. The clone for that brew uses California Ale, not "spicy yeast".

Maybe call the brewery if you are in the area and see what they say. If you find out anything let us know and we will help.

I did a quick google search and this came up from a thread on the green board. Honestly it looks like a pretty good shot at a recipe. When I browsed the recipe on the Troeg's site I didn't realize it had cherries in it. I'd guess you'd add those at secondary.

One other note--if you are looking to get this cloned for a Christmas beer--you should have done it last December! this is a big 'un!!!!!!!!

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=61840&view=findpost&p=745844

MAD ELF

ABV: 11%
IBU’s: 15
SRM: Ruby Red
OG around 1.100

13 lbs Belgian Pils
2 lbs Belgian Munich
3 oz Belgian Chocolate (Malt)

Mash at 152 or so to leave some sweetness as the honey and cherries will dry the beer out a bit.

1 oz Hallertau at 90 min
0.5 oz Saaz at 10 min
2 lbs Clover Honey at flame out (put this in the fermenter)

5 lbs cherries in secondary

Yeast : WLP 500

You say it's a local brewery?

Take a sanitized mason jar down there and see if they'll hook you up with some yeast. It's worth a shot anyway...

Thanks for the help. I think I will send them an email for a 5 gal batch recipe. The worse thing they can say is "no" right. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks Again

DM

Latest posts

Back